Monday, April 11, 2016

His Loss. Our Gain.

What has God ever done for me?

That is, in itself, a selfish question. It focuses on “me”, what I lack, what I want that hasn’t been provided. It takes away from the greatness of Jehovah Jireh, the God who’s more than enough, removing any thought that He’ll come through on time. Laced with doubt and disbelief, such a question distrusts the very Hand that longs to answer it.

It’s not a prayer, but a complaint meant to put God in His place. Suddenly we’re better than God. We can handle it ourselves.

God’s love, on the other hand, is solely focused on “you”. It isn’t our heavenly Father wrapped up in Himself, waiting for His wayward creation to finally speak words of praise.

“Don’t they know I’m up here …?” with His toe tapping.




No, when God shed his love upon mankind, there was no “me” involved. He didn’t think of Himself and what He’d get out of it, but what Jesus’ sacrificial act would do for me. For you. For the world.

He gave all. Every. Leaving nothing out. He didn’t reserve half the cross for another day or choose to delay His salvation for some of us until He’d decided who was worth dying for. For that matter, the event didn’t sneak up on Him. He didn’t realize … “Oh, wait, looks like Jesus might have die. Rats.”

He knew that way in advance, and He did it anyway. Without thought to His loss, but every thought to our gain.

Therefore, the question we must ask in our time of need, what we should seek when the chips are down and things aren’t going are way, isn’t, “What has God done for me?” But, what has God done for you?

Because, like Job, who was healed when he prayed for his friends, when we get our eyes off of what we expect, how bad our circumstances are, our checkbooks, our health, our kids, when we think of others instead, that’s when we receive our greatest blessing. (Job 42:10)

That’s when we become the most like Christ.

And it’s strange because in that moment what looked so big won’t be so bad any more, against the size of a God capable and willing to put us first.

Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? … But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Mt 6:31,33)

-----------------------
Suzanne D. Williams
Feelgoodromance.com 
Florida, USA

1 comment:

Tammy Doherty said...

Nicely put. I have to add a twist though. When worries and fears start weighing me down, I WILL ask, "What has God done for me?" And then I list off ALL THE THINGS HE HAS DONE! It really helps put it all in perspective. If God can get me through all of that, and usually I'm far better off than I ever dreamed of on my own, then why should I worry now? Thanks for reminding us all, Suzanne, how much God truly loves us :-)

Story Saturdays

This month's FREE BOOK to email subscribers will be a recent release under my pen name, Josephine McCutcheon . This is a line of swee...