Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I Am Me



I want to believe in something greater
        --but according to society, I can't.

I want to trust in someone stronger
        --but I'm told that doesn't exist. God is a myth.

I want to wake up knowing the Creator of the world made me exactly how He wanted
        --but, no, it isn't. Could be ... Maybe ... I can change myself at whim.

I'm taught tolerance
        --when that same tolerance goes against the very thing generations of my family believed.

The words spoken from my mother and father, two sets of grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. They taught me the power of worship, prayer on bended knee. That He always hears, always answers, always loves.

And I know it's true because I have felt His hand reach down and touch mine.

When I was at the bottom, He lifted me.
When I was confused about who I'd become, He taught me.

When I felt my daughter's life kicking in me, I had no doubt ... no doubt at all ... of who He is.

Still, they want to change me. They want me to become something I've never been. I must readjust, rethink, reform to their new rules.

But I submit that their words are opposite of His. That not everything goes, and some things are wrong. That there IS a line in the sand.

That the Truth is immoveable, unshakeable, unperturbed.
That God is more powerful than the men He created.
That He saw all this from the very beginning and knew ...

He KNEW ...

Exactly how it'd end.

That what I believe - in life, in hope, in forgiveness, in faith - isn't worth my compromise, and who I am today, who I need to be tomorrow, regardless of what anyone else has to say, more important than public opinion.

Because I am me.
And I am His.
And I won't change that.



---------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams
Suzanne Williams Photography 
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

Cheryl Johnston said...

I love this post and your poem, Suzanne! I'm sharing, too!. Thanks so much for writing.

A Note To My Readers

Dear Readers, I was in the path of Hurricane Irma. I still do not have power at home and so am living a bit like a refugee. I have ...