Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Dare To Dream

For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. (Hab 2:3)


When Joseph had his famous dream about greatness, the Scripture says he was seventeen years old and in a pretty good position in life. (Ge 37:2) His father loved him and his needs were supplied in abundance. (Ge 37:3)

But he did what we all do, he expected his dream to manifest immediately. He thought God's words would come to pass tomorrow and everyone around would see and marvel. It didn't work out that way. In fact, his brothers became so angry they threw him into a pit in the ground, taking his most prized possession, then changed their minds and sold him into slavery.




Life has a way of sending us backwards from the dream we have in our head. We thought we'd be successful by now, have everything God promised, without having to make much effort. Yet, like Joseph, what was given to us at seventeen was for an "appointed time" in our lives.

Joseph was thirty-seven when his dream was fulfilled.* That's twenty years where everything he thought would happen instantly, didn't. He was promoted as a slave, only to be tossed in jail. (Ge 39:9,20) It seemed he couldn't get ahead for falling down. But notice this, the dream still came true.

At seventeen, he didn't need greatness. He wasn't mature enough to handle it, as evidenced by his bragging to his brothers. (Ge 37:5,9) He had to grow up first and become the man God wanted him to become, at the time God needed him to be mature, in the place God planned for his dream to come to fulfillment.

Because the fact is, sometimes, instant isn't best for us.

I am much stronger for having exercised my faith to leave home without fear than I would ever have been had God simply made me well. Don't get me wrong. God does heal instantly. But had He done that for me, I would have continued in my previous behavior and not been grateful for the gift of mental strength I gained. I now know I am capable of facing fear and continuing to walk because I've already done so.

Let's be clear though. God at no time put me at the bottom in order to lift me up. God didn't want Joseph hated by his brothers, didn't desire for him to suffer for twenty years in Pharaoh's household. That is what happened, but if Joseph had kept silent about his dream and thought about it in his heart instead, it would have still come true.


We ask, "Why me, God?" or "Why not now?" or "How long before ...?" this or that happens. And, in the long run, may not always know the answer. The dream God gave us may seem miles, years, away. In fact, we've gone backwards instead of forwards. But God has a hand on us and knows exactly how to get us to that moment in time, as long as we dare to believe it.

That's the most important truth. Not giving up. Always walking by faith. And never looking at the troubles of life as an end to the dream, but instead, a bump in the road on the way to its completion.

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?  (Numbers 23:19)


*Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible, e-sword.net



 ---------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams
Suzanne Williams Photography 
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

Kathi said...

Tbis is such a timely word for me. I have pondered the vision for years. And a few months ago I find my marriage separated and unsure of the promises of God spoken to us. During my time of grief I have come back around to believe I have not been forsaken and that my future is filled with hope. You are right when you say we have to dare to believe. I read something just yesterday about our growing during wilderness/dark times. No matter how dark or how long that season God is still on the throne and He is always good! God bless you. Excited for what He is doing in and through you!!

Story Saturdays

The BIG CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY is coming! This means FREE BOOKS ! Both Kindle and epub versions will be provided. This is the ONLY place...