Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Oh, Grow Up

Seated in the pew, a smile on my face I prepared to tick off yet another Sunday sermon from my to-do list:

"Ten to twelve is church. Twelve-thirty to to two is lunch. Two to three is a nap. I have to rest and refresh. Then I might get some housework done before thinking about supper.

Except I hope I don't have to deal with HER during the service. She always blocks my view. Or that other one, who wears too much perfume. Gag. Doesn't she realize it stinks?

And why doesn't the preacher see some people hate to "sit forward" and don't want to "shake hands"? Not everyone's outgoing like him.

He really should speak more inspired, use less notes. He could be more unscripted, impromptu. I get he likes props and videos, but seriously? This is church, not a theater club.

Maybe my mood is because I don't feel good today. I have a headache, plus, my allergies are acting up. I hope I can hear what the preacher has to say in the first place. I'll probably drift off sometime midway. 

I get lots of things solved during church, having so much time to sit and think. Why I once figured out exactly what was wrong with the sink drain that way.

I hope, too, that my stomach doesn't growl. I didn't eat breakfast before I came, which means I'll be super hungry before it's all over. We could go out to lunch or pick something up. That'd save me having to make something to eat. Everyone always wants food so quickly afterward, and I end up standing there cooking while they breathe down my neck.

My neck kinda hurts. I think I slept wrong. Which reminds of of Lois. Oh, goodness, Lois is having such a hard time. Too bad her insurance won't pay for all her medical bills. Someone should step up and offer to help her.

Maybe Dr. Dan over there. He certainly has enough money. I've seen what he drives ... a new Lexus every other year. I wish. Ahem. Some of us work paycheck to paycheck. 

We can't take five vacations a year, not to call any names, Danielle. Must be nice to always fly off somewhere, post such nice pictures all the time ..."


Lots of people sit in the pews but never grow up. Growth requires effort. You have to do something. And here's a biggie ... you have to change.

To become a better person and do what God has asked, you have to stop listening to the thoughts roaming around in your head and instead, step back and admit you have a flaw.

Yeah, maybe you do gossip too much.

Maybe when someone is hurting, you hurry down the aisle and look the other way, hoping someone else will solve it.

Maybe when you don't feel well or finances are tight, you're more apt to complain than take it to God in prayer.

Maybe when you're squeezed between a rock and a hard place, what comes out is ungodly, unkind, and corrupt.

Maybe all you're doing in church is showing up to go home afterward and suck your thumb and cry, hoping someone older and wiser will fix it for you.

"Ouch, Suzanne, that hurts."

Growth hurts. Change hurts. Correction is usually painful.

But the reward on the other side is well worth the effort. You might walk out of the service with God's Word in your head instead of whether or not you're eating tacos or a sandwich for lunch, if the lawn needs mowing, or what you have to do at work tomorrow.

You might have a Scripture for someone in their time of need. A dollar or two to give them when they can't buy groceries. 

A prayer to a gracious, loving heavenly Father who you now know cares intimately about you.

So get rid of hatefulness and deception, of insincerity and jealousy and slander. 2 Be like newborn babies, crying out for spiritual milk that will help you grow into salvation 3 if you have tasted and found the Lord to be good. 4 Come to Him—the living stone—who was rejected by people but accepted by God as chosen and precious. 5 Like living stones, let yourselves be assembled into a spiritual house, a holy order of priests who offer up spiritual sacrifices that will be acceptable to God through Jesus the Anointed. (1Pe 2:1-5 VOICE)

 -------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams 
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...