Wednesday, January 22, 2014

How To Sell Books

Faith is the assurance of things you have hoped for, the absolute conviction that there are realities you’ve never seen. (Heb 11:1 VOICE)

Two things sell books. Obedience and Faith.

Obedience. I write what God gives me to write.

This isn't any different than preaching a sermon. The minister prepares by reading the Word and spending time in prayer. He also learns how to speak - the proper tone and volume to use, correct grammar, how to keep the people's interest.

But perhaps greatest of all, he listens to the Holy Spirit. More times have I heard a speaker say they had something ready, but God took them another direction.

I do Spirit writing.

"But, Suzanne, you write romance."

Especially since I write romance. Every word I write has to project the principles of the Word of God. It has to center around Christ yet at the same time keep the readers' interest. It's writing with rules - the highest rules of all - and at the same time, writing well.

Obedience sells books, but obedience alone won't do it. I also have to walk by faith.

Faith is not a nambypamby, maybe this will sell, maybe it won't, wishy-washy statement. Faith says, "Listen to me, Book, you will sell and sell well," and it rests in that.

That's rest, "relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs." (Dictionary.com)

When I release a book, I know it'll go somewhere, and I don't allow doubt to steal that from me. God gave me the book, and I listened to Him when I wrote it. Therefore, He's going to see it comes to success. (Jos 1:8)

This doesn't eliminate my responsibility. I still have to do marketing. But here's the key. God's marketing plan for me fits my personality.

God will never take a man with no legs and ask him to run. Instead, He will give him the legs first, make him strong, and train him up to be a runner before He turns him loose.

If I will obey and walk by faith, then all the circumstances around that book don't matter. Where it sits on the chart, how many copies I've sold today, my percentage of returns. I do watch the numbers. However, the numbers don't decide whether or not I'm a successful author.

Neither does genre, book selling site, current reading trends, or any of the dozens of ways I choose to promote my book.

What sells the book is God said, "Do this," and so I did. After all, He knows me, knows my readers, and is ultimately in total control. As long as I let Him and take the time to listen to what the Holy Spirit has to say specifically to me.


-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams 
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

10 comments:

Linda Krpec said...

Enjoyed reading this today. I am just beginning.....
http://www.lindakrpec.com
Thanks,
Linda

B. J. Robinson said...

Love this. I'm writing the books He gives me, and He'll do what He wishes with them. As you say, He's in control. Thanks for this inspirational encouragement. Blessings, BJ Robinson

Michelle Stimpson said...

This is absolutely THE BEST "marketing plan"! I love to see Christ glorified, and the ability to command our work to glorify Him is without a doubt what puts books into the hands of readers. God bless you!

Mary Hanks said...

Thanks for the good word of encouragement. Walking His walk is the best!!

Jackie Castle said...

Thanks for this. Inspiring, needed, timely and did I say I needed this? It's what I've been feeling down in my spirit, I just needed to hear it from somewhere else. Good stuff.

Dana Che said...

This is really great encouragement Suzanne! It's easy to get caught up in the "dos" that we lose sight of the "Who." Thanks for sharing!

Norma said...

Love this!!!! Running and shouting :)

Nicole Benoit-Roy said...

I enjoyed reading this. I feel the same way about selling my books. Lately I discovered that my marketing strategy is not working. I rest it in God's hands to train me as I continue to "ask...seek...and knock..." (Mat.7:7)

Tracy Krauss said...

This is exactly what I needed to hear today.

Mel Harper said...

God had us both up early writing about His nudging. :) I love your saying you write what God wants you to write. It's as simple as that. His sprit within us compels us to write about Himself! For me, God was leading me to write this morning about starting just where you are and using what you have. Great message! ~Mel www.melharper.blogspot.com