Wednesday, January 29, 2014

And God Smiled

And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him. (1 Samuel 16:23) 

I watched the Grammy's for one hour, and I learned something - how truly frail and inept we, as humans, really are, how dependent we are on constant encouragement, and taking that thought one step further, on protecting our pride.

Photo credit:  http://www.sxc.hu/photo/945301

I've never considered myself a prude. There are truly talented artists who God has blessed with an amazing voice, and there are times when a love song is exactly what I need to hear. But watching artist after artist go up on flames in the space of one hour, I could only marvel that they missed the purpose of it all.

Grammy host LL Cool J said more than once, "The Grammys ... making history," or some such statement, but what kept rising in me was, "Not good history." And isn't that what we want? For our every breath to be productive, our thoughts to form within us a memory that every time we return to it we are rested and refreshed, becoming better people.

Those artists missed that. Well, most of them. And that's inordinately sad to me because what blessing they have isn't really theirs at all but belongs to the One who gave them the talent to start with. 

Singing isn't about you looking at me or him or that person with such a vocal gift (or in the case of that show, the lack thereof). Singing is about allowing the words of that song to change something inside of you for the better. 

Music is ordained by God for praise, for worship, to turn our eyes from the size of our problems onto the size of Him who supports and prospers us.

Music is about making God happy.

Suddenly, I'm not looking at myself or my circumstances or all the junk of the day, but I see the possibilities before me. Yes, I can overcome this. Yes, I'm loved. Yes, I'm healthy and at peace and life is good.

But especially, yes, God is here.

If I through my worship can make God smile then that is the greatest reward. Not that my name is huge, not that I am popular for something, not that I hold an award given to me by a group of people only out to pat each other on the back. 

But that the Creator heard my words and was pleased. Seems to me that's far more important.

But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord. (Jer 9:24)



----------


All I Ask by Meredith Andrews

Give me eyes to see when my heart is blind
That when I ask You'll give, that when I seek I'll find
Give me ears to hear when my way's confused
Let the uncertain road, still lead me back to You

All I ask, all I seek
Is You, is You
All I want, all I need
Is You

Give me melodies in the silence, Lord
And let the fire be where every song is forged
Give me faith to trust in Your promises
That You are truly good, that You are all You said You are


-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams 
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

reneeann said...

Great post, Suzanne. Very well said.

I believe the same goes for us, as writers. Each word I pen should be pleasing to God.

And I want these same words to touch/change someone's life.

Blessings, Renee-Ann <><