Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Black and White

I am a paragon of nonconformity. A square peg in a round hole. A red object in a sea of black and white. Oh, not on the outside. Outside, I'm a wallflower, camouflaged, blending in with my environment. Pretend you don't see me, and I'm not here. But inside, I'm not above saying no.

No is a powerful word not used much anymore. "Everybody's doing it," has become the norm. Participate in the latest fad. Monkey see, monkey do. 

Nah, maybe not. Just because you think that's great, I don't.

I think I get this from my mother. Somewhere in junior high (that's what it was called when I was in there), I asked for the latest clothing item. I can't recall if it was the scrunchy boots or the stretchy gold belt I wanted (and never got), but I remember begging, "But, Mom, everybody's got one."

And her saying, "But they're wrong."

I have never forgotten that. It clicked with me. I realized then I didn't have to do what everyone else is doing. I can be myself and be accepted for who God made me to be. That's a powerful lesson to learn if you can grab hold of it.

And even more powerful if you realize that the only One you really need to listen to is the Holy Spirit. That's how I write. I've studied formulas, sentence structure, plotting devices. I listen to those in the know who are better than me in certain areas. Especially marketing. God has blessed me with gifted people to help me sell my books.

But when it comes down to the heart of the matter, I really only need God's leading. I need to hear the Spirit speaking to my inner man, encouragement, direction, correction. I have to set aside what all the others think is right, what works best for them, and sometimes say no.

I can't and won't put God in a box because He's smarter than me. He sees the beginning and the ending and all the stuff in between, so for me it pays to listen and set aside man's wisdom, man's way of doing things, instead, standing alone, content in the knowledge I am exactly where He wants me.

And be okay with that no matter where it takes me, no matter if I'm alone there or not.


-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

This month's FREE BOOK has been selected. For email subscribers only, I will send a download link to a copy of STEELE (Billionaire Boys...