Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Something To Believe In

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Jesus-Christ-55567468
I stared down at the book description unable to believe my eyes. "Were Jesus' miracles done through the power of mental suggestion?"

Mental suggestion?

Are you, oh, new age, humanist man, still beating that dead horse? Will you really try to explain away the unexplainable, the incomprehensible, the indescribable?

Seriously?

Where is faith in the unbelievable without the element of unknown involved? (Heb 11:3) Do we want to worship what we can see and hear and touch? Jesus said to Thomas, "Blessed are they, who have not seen, and yet believed." (Jn 20:29)

The centurion saw nothing. In fact, he implored Jesus not to come, saying, "If you say my servant's healed, then he is." (Mt 8:8) Where in that was the power of mental suggestion? Where was it, when the centurion came home to find the servant had been healed the very instant Jesus spoke those words? (Mt 8:13)

Where was mental suggestion with the leper? When he went before the priest, did the priest say, "Oh, yes, I've seen this all before. You simply think you're healed, but look close, your leprosy's still there." (Mk 1:42)

Did Jesus suggest the three friends lower the man with the palsy before him on the mat? Did He suggest the man get up and walk? (Jn 5:8) And what of the women taken in adultery? Was her forgiveness mere suggestion? (Jn 8:11) Or the woman with the issue of blood? (Mk 5:34) Or the demoniac who beat himself with stones? (Mk 5:19) Did Jesus make water into wine by suggesting it happen? (Jn 2:11)

Are we in our finite mind trying to fashion an infinite God out of stone? Or are you really willing to believe God raised Jesus from the dead?

Because that's what it comes down to. The apostle Paul pointed this out to the Corinthian church. He said, "If Christ didn't rise from the dead, then all I've told you is a lie. But the fact is, He did, and I'm not." (1Co 15:12,20)

Give me something to believe in, people!  

Give me a God who's greater than all this. Give me a God who loves the unlovely, heals the incurable, calms the storm! Give me a God who can form the earth with the power of His word, cause a virgin to conceive the Savior of the world, and forgive every sin any man will ever do at any time.

Give me that God! Not one with smooth words and powerful talk. (1Co 2:4) But one with the very glory of heaven in His hands.Give me God who I can turn to and say, "I need you. Fix this," and Him reply, "I've got it. Relax."

"I'm broke. I can't pay my bills."
"I'll handle it. Breathe easy."

"My daughter's struggling. I don't know what to do."
"Believe. Pray. And I'll take care of her."

"I don't want to live in this old, worn down house anymore."
"Just you wait. I've got bigger, better things ahead."

Give me that kind of God. Make Him greater and higher and bigger and better and more and abundant and all things and everything. Blow my mind with the size of Him, the goodness of Him, the amazing things He'll do for me.

Then raise your hands with mine and say, "Holy Father, you're worthy to receive glory and honor and praise." Why? Because nothing about it was left up to suggestion. It was all Him all along.


-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments: