Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Seek Accurate Teaching

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. (2 Ti 4:3 GW) 


The Word of God cannot be voted on. It isn't something we can decide yes or no applies to us. Pick and choose what parts we want to accept. Nor is it open to interpretation. It says one thing over and over and over, repeating itself, but not contradicting itself. It is accurate at all times.

Once you get this in your heart, it solves a lot of problems. You lose the need to have "itching ears." (2Ti 4:3 KJV) And instead, develop discernment.

To understand discernment, think of someone you are close to. If you hand them a bowl of cherries, would they eat them, refuse them, or not care one way or the other? The fact you just told yourself the answer is discernment. Discernment comes through time spent with that person, talking to them, observing them, following them around.

Discernment isn't open to opinion. I detest watermelon. When the man at the health food store tried to talk me into buying organic watermelon, it was pointless. I don't care if its organic, non-organic, home grown, red, yellow, etc. I don't like it and never will. There isn't any questioning me on it. I'll tell you the same thing regardless of how you ask.

So is the Word of God. It isn't a matter of "take this," but a matter of "this is what's best." Don't take the power of God, the strength of the Holy Spirit, and make them subject to what you have to say first. 

Seek accurate teaching. Not every preacher, teacher, or evangelist is right on everything. I should take whatever I hear from whoever I hear it and compare it to the Bible and see if what they've said matches.If it doesn't, I should know what should have been said instead. I know because I've spent time in God's Word, learning, seeking, becoming familiar with it.

I refuse to be someone sitting in the pew to decorate it, willing to listen to whoever speaks, thinking we're all part of the family, so he or she is exactly right on this issue.That sounds like doubt, you say. No, I'm striving for accurate teaching, refusing to have itching ears that will only listen to what I want to hear. 

Some translations of this same verse call this "sound doctrine," and sound doctrine is of major importance. I only want in me what God is speaking, and it's my job to meditate in the Word and put it there.

Then like that bowl of cherries, I can say, "No, I can't eat those because ..."

It isn't your job to put truth in me. It isn't the preacher's job to put truth in me. He must speak what God's Word says, yes. But ultimately, it's my job to hear, to know, to recognize, to protect my hearing and keep myself from falling into a spiritual ditch because I was too blind to see it coming. (Mt. 15:14)

----------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

luke martin said...

So much truth in this. It brings hope. We're not suppose to be decoration, but truth finders, no matter the cost. I got excited on this one. Trying to find your Facebook.

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...