Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Just Ask

Ye have not, because ye ask not. (Jas 4:2)

Seaton Garage, 1919 (Shorpy.com)
It was such a simple thing. If she had only asked me, I would have done it for free. I believe in being generous, in helping others whose lives have affected mine. 

But she didn't. 

Instead, she went out under her own power and fixed it herself. She was able to do that. There were no strings attached between us.  Yet something as simple as asking would have changed the final outcome.

God has given us this same instruction. He says, "Hey, just ask me. Believe I'm capable and willing, then ask, and I'll do it." Yet we rebel - against the God of the Universe, nonetheless - and try to fix things on our own. WHY?

It's like, instead of taking your car to the mechanic, you tinker with it on your own (or your computer or your cell phone. You get the idea.) There are people who know how it ought to work far better than you do. So use them! 

And we're talking about He, who made mankind, here. The Guy who wrote the manual. He knows every nut and bolt, every hinge and lock, every bone, muscle, and hair on your head. (Mt 10:30) He's definitely the smartest Mr. Fix-It out there.

You can't even say it's too expensive, because God's grace is given free of charge. (Rm 3:24) You can't earn it. You can't pay for it. You can't work your way toward it. You can't be good enough for it. You only have to receive it.

I saw an excellent example of receiving recently. A preacher held a key in his hand out to his wife and said, "Receive this key." You know what she did? She reached out and took hold of it. Our receiving requires us to act. We're not sitting in place, hands extended, waiting for God to drop it in our palm. No! We're taking hold of God's goodness because Jesus died and was resurrected to give this to us. (Eph 3:20) Because His grace is sufficient. (2Co 4:15;2Co 8:7;2Co 12:9) Because God said, "Ask me." (Mt 7:7;Lk 11:9)

It's so simple.

"God, I need to get my finances out of this hole. I need enough money to pay my bills with some left over to feed my children. I need enough give to the church and help the poor."

"God, I don't feel well, and you said Jesus died for my healing, so that I don't have to be in pain or suffer. You said I can have many, well days (quantity and quality of life)."

"God, I'm confused. I have decisions to make, major ones, and I need your wisdom, so that I walk in your will for my life."

Ask. Whatever it is, however small or large you think the problem, God put no qualifications on it. 

He solves everything and anything, no matter what it is, no matter where you are, no matter how low or high you think life has placed you. He's a good God whose greatest desire is to take care of His children. (Mt 7:11;Lk 11:13)

Whether it's your next storyline, your next meal, your next tank of gas, the paper cut on your pinky, God cares about you and is right here waiting, His pockets full of change, His arms full of power, His heart full of love. You only have to ask.


Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? (Matthew 6:25-30 KJV)

   -------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

The Email Subscriber Only, FREE BOOK for March is a brand new release, TALK LIKE A PIRATE (A Man Through Time) Book 1 . This is a entertain...