Wednesday, August 7, 2013

When God Speaks, We Listen

But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. (Ps 1:2)


I couldn't believe it. Did she really say that? I went back over her words and sure enough, there they were. She actually said it. Stumped, I stared at my computer screen and ran her statement over in my head.

"I've heard all that before."

A rejection. A refusal to read the truths of God's Word. Been there. Done that. Bought the t-shirt.

Wait. Hold up. When did anything in the Bible become old news? When did our hearts get too full, we get too big for our britches, too mature to take in any more nutrition?

At what point did we decline to eat?

Did you get up today and say, "You know what? I think I'll take the week off." Okay, I've had days when I didn't want to eat much. My stomach is a finicky part of my anatomy. But even then, at some point I get hungry again.

And I don't usually wait until I'm totally empty either.

But spiritually, we do this all the time. We don't need it right now. We've heard that sermon twice already. What, faith again? We're more focused on the next big thing, the spectacular moment when the stars all align and the song reaches its crest, when the speaker comes down off the podium and points in our face.

We want feel-good Christianity. But what we need is bread and milk. We're not even old enough spiritually speaking to partake of meat. (1Co 3:1-3;1Pe 2:2)

But the Psalm says God's Word should be our delight, something that brings "a high degree of pleasure or enjoyment." (Dictionary.com) We should look forward to it, rearrange our schedules around it, deny ourselves time for other things in order to be around it.

It should be the ball game on Sunday afternoon. That piece of cake you've been saving for after supper. It should be a birthday party and Christmas and Easter all rolled into one.

We should never hear ourselves say, "I've heard all that before." But, "Bless God! I can't wait to hear all that again." 

Because when God speaks, we listen. And what He says is the best thing ever.



Hold up, wait a minute, put a little love in it.

Doctor, Doctor, I've got an emergency 
It seems I'm head over heels, a case of L-O-V-E  
It's like I'm glowing inside  
Yeah, a light I can't hide  
And if this feeling is bad then I don't wanna be right  
What I've got in my soul gives me the highest delight  
Oh yeah it's better than drugs  
In fact it's sent from above, huh huh


 

-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...