Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Whole Lot Of Lukewarm

I know everything you have done, and you are not cold or hot. I wish you were either one or the other. But since you are lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Rev 3:15-16 CEV)


I heard the words in my ear and couldn't believe them. Words of compromise. Words tepid, apathetic, indifferent.

"I think this is where correct is subjective."

Subjective? When did flawless, faultless, and perfect become personal opinion? When did the best, the highest, the greatest get replaced by the acceptable, the good enough, the mundane?

When did it matter what I thought, what you thought, what they decided about the rules of the game? Has anyone who's ever truly radically succeeded done so because they sat back and allowed half-good, half-baked, half-done philosphy to make their decisions?

No. Because correct is never subjective. Correct is black and white. Oil and water. Correct is opposite and antithesis to fifty-fifty, middle ground, mousy gray. Correct is toeing the line, paying attention, following the rules because without rules we're all so much paste.

The apostle Paul said so. "It is the straight-edge of the Law that shows us how crooked we are." (Rm 3:20 Phillips) In other words, having the rules, tells us how to walk right by showing us when we've walked wrong.

Think of children. Put a group of them in a room, turn them loose for a day, remove all supervision, and what do you get? Chaos. Riot. Lawlessness. Pandemonium. All brought on by the desire to conform to unschooled opinions. 

My way. My method. My formula, recipe, technique.

"You do it how you want. I'll do it how I want." When maybe both are in error and the line is painted stark between the two. Because despite what we think, what we decide, what we choose on our own, there is a correct method. One ruled by obedience and ambition. One that looks at the standard and says, "I'm going to do my best to reach it, and if I can't, I'll admit I need help. But I am never going to set the bar lower and accept middle ground just to make myself feel better."

Because middle ground is only halfway there. Yes, you've left where you started, but you've not reached the top because you accepted partial. Some of this mixed with some of that. A dab of their faith, a bit of this religion, a rewriting of the rules for my benefit, so I don't feel so bad. You do your thing, and I'll do mine. And in the process, we both fall far short.

But friend, there's only one way to do things. One correct. One method. One standard. The best is the best because it's the best, not because we adjusted it to fit us. Not one size fits all. But raising our all to the highest level. Expecting more.

Think of it this way. We can all bake a cake, but what kind of cake is it? A box cake? Or was it from scratch? Was it one layer or two? Or can you bake a wedding cake, decorate it to the nines, sell it for a grand, and put it out for the world to see? 

"But that's too hard. I'll never get there."

That's what God sent Jesus for, to help you obtain perfection in everything you do. And He gave you the rules to go by and the directions to get there, then handed you the power to make it possible, saying, "Don't compromise, but set your eyes on the goal and never give up on reaching it. Never turn back. Never think that lukewarm is ever good enough.


I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (Jn 14:6)


-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

This month's FREE BOOK to email subscribers will be a recent release under my pen name, Josephine McCutcheon . This is a line of swee...