Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Stroll Down Awesome Street

Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. (Php 3:4-7 KJV)

In the middle of Awesome Street stands a man holding a mirror. He sees nothing around him, not the road he's on, nor the people passing by.

He's too busy looking at himself. His needs. His wants. His dislikes. He steps on a few toes now and then, but so what, as long as he's tended to.

But the problem with Awesome Street is it's a private street, wide and broad and reserved for only those who've wandered off the narrow path. It's also untended, full of potholes, stumbling blocks, and thieves bent on stealing what little you have.

I mean, one moment you're walking along, mirror in hand, and the next your wallet's gone, your purse, your jacket, your shoes. Because you got too comfortable. You weren't watching around you anymore.

You passed by the beggar with his hand outstretched. The grandmother, sitting there lonely. The teen, searching for guidance. The child, ignored and forgotten.

You didn't pray. You didn't help. You didn't stand for anything. Nothing but you.

One word out of your mouth and the sentence begins with I. Or me. Or myself. You're introspective, self absorbed, self possessed. But certainly not self-control. That's foreign to you. The very thought of reining it in, holding it back, setting yourself aside for the thought of another is mind-blowing.

Thing is, Awesome Street is a mirage. Really, you walk through the desert, dry, parched, wasting away. Your spirit man is a stick figure, your heart a prune. The true oasis is found seated in heavenly places next to Christ. It's holding His hand in the narrow spots. It's looking at His face daily, hourly, minute-by-minute, instead of your own.

It's having His vision for your family, your friends, your church, your school, your town, your community, your country. It's seeing Him, fellowshipping with Him. It's the first word out of your mouth being, "Thank you, Jesus, for who you've made me."

"Because you've made me awesome, but I know that's really only Your reflection in me."

On My Knees by Jaci Velasquez

There are days
when I feel
The best of me
is ready to begin (the end)
Then there's (the) days
when I feel
I'm letting go
and soaring on the wind
'Cause I've learned in laughter or in pain
How to survive!

I get on my knees!
There I am before the Love
That changes me
See I don't know how
But there's power
When I'm on my knees



-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

This month's FREE BOOK to email subscribers will be a recent release under my pen name, Josephine McCutcheon . This is a line of swee...