Wednesday, May 22, 2013

To all the Timothy Coopers

You are young, but don't let anyone treat you as if you are not important. Be an example to show the believers how they should live. Show them by what you say, by the way you live, by your love, by your faith, and by your pure life. (1 Timothy 4:12 ERV) 
I'm counting Timothy Coopers.Teen boys willing to take a stand for honor and respect. And Taylor Lawtons, teen girls who refuse to compromise their virginity, their innocence. I'm counting youths willing to set examples in faith and purity and backbone and maybe teach us old codgers a thing or two about doing what's right.

Because I see it all the time. Adults, parents who think they can compromise with their children, do things halfway. A little of this is okay. They'll grow out of that.

But I have news for them. We cannot raise our children without godly morals and expect them to make correct decisions. Absence of faith and thereby absence of God leads to wayward lives and wrong choices.

I didn't write that, the apostle Paul did. He says in verse 16 of this same chapter, "Be careful in your life and in your teaching. Continue to live and teach rightly. Then you will save yourself and those who listen to your teaching." (ERV)

That's pretty sobering. My example saves the lives of those who hear me? And my daughter's example, your son's, and your daughter's examples as well.

How many lives will they save? And who will they save? It could be somebody right on the edge. It could be someone over the edge. It could be someone who doesn't believe they can ever come back from where they're at. It could be their future spouse, or a future pastor, future civil leader or politician.

Which makes this instruction as much to the parent and grandparent as it is to the teen or the twenty-something. Because it is our examples that give them theirs.  

It is us saying, "Sex outside of marriage is wrong, and marriage is between one man and one woman." It's us extending arms of grace to the teen mom or dad and the child born out of wedlock so they know God is love, and faith is awesome when fully embraced. It's us acknowledging angst and attraction and peer pressure and hormones and providing answers and solutions instead of shaken heads and pointed fingers.

It's our saying, "Do as I do" because we've lived the very life we're expecting them to follow.

I know I'm not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to all who believe. (Rm 1:16) To the young. To the old. To the broken and down-trodden. To the girl who said that my only solution for teen sexual issues was marriage. To the other one who said I write "fluff."

Ask me what I stand for and I'll tell you. I stand for all the Timothy Coopers out there. For the boy whose mom told me he wears a t-shirt sporting the slogan, "I love my wife and I haven't met her," and "Virginity rocks."

Because it does. It's faith and purity setting an example for others to follow. It's his life changing another. Here's to you kid. I'm proud.

When I Fall In Love (Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole)

When I fall in love it will be forever
Or I'll never fall in love
In a restless world like this is
Love is ended before it's begun
And too many moonlight kisses
Seem to cool in the warmth of the sun

When I give my heart it will be completely
Or I'll never give my heart
And the moment I can feel that you feel that way too
Is when I fall in love with you.

 

-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

The Email Subscriber Only, FREE BOOK for March is a brand new release, TALK LIKE A PIRATE (A Man Through Time) Book 1 . This is a entertain...