Wednesday, May 8, 2013

God Doesn't Wear Headphones

For one who speaks in an [unknown] tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands or catches his meaning, because in the [Holy] Spirit he utters secret truths and hidden things [not obvious to the understanding]. (1Co 14:2 AMP)


I prayed a prayer like everyone else with an idea in my mind of how it'd all turn out. I saw it all, clear as day. God said, "Whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive," so I asked, expecting, fervent in my heart. (Mt 21:22 NKJ;Jas 5:16)

But it didn't happen that way. In fact, as far as I could see it didn't happen at all, and I fell into the trap of so many others - the WHY GOD trap.

Why, God, didn't you answer? I asked. I believed. I know You want to. I know you promised it. I had Scriptures. I had people agreeing with me.

Yet nothing. Nothing at all.

Then the truth sank into my heart. Do I believe God isn't listening? No, of course not. God doesn't wear headphones. He can hear me and you and them and all of those all at the same time and know what we said, how we said it, and what word we'll say next.

So that isn't the problem.

Do I believe then that God chose not to answer? I mean, is He sitting up there, enjoying the view while I struggle? Ridiculous. He's the ultimate Man of His Word, the One you can turn to at any hour on any day at any moment and know He's awake. He isn't backing out, changing His mind. (Ps 15:4)

Nor do I believe God isn't able. I'm not that dumb. Anyone who can part the Red Sea, have a donkey talk, heal the blind, make the lame walk, bring men back from the dead, and defeat the enemy of our souls is obviously fully capable of answering this prayer for me.

Which leaves only one solution. One reason why my prayer didn't come true. God is too smart. That makes sense. He's simply so smart that He knew what I needed before I needed it, knew what I'd need after it didn't happen like I thought.

He knew that I was praying fervently, but the whole time what the Holy Spirit was saying through me was God's perfect will. It wasn't my mental image. It wasn't what I'd decided. It was the mystery He'd said it would be.

And a mystery is just that - a thing I don't understand, can't interpret, and am unsure of - but that doesn't mean He does. Oh, no. He's the Light. He's the Truth. He's the Answer. So as long as I'm praying, no matter how awful the situation seems, no matter if it's life or death, God always answers.

Because just think. What if I hadn't prayed? What if I knew it wouldn't happen like I wanted, so I didn't pray at all? Then what if The After was horrible, awfully bad, and I couldn't get over it?

What if my prayers, though they weren't what I thought, were exactly what I needed? And what if those same prayers went on for eternity? What if they're still working, still changing, still making a difference? Then I didn't waste my time speaking them.Then you didn't waste your time. Then your grandmother, though she's long gone, didn't waste hers.

Then her prayers still rise before the Father as incense, as a reminder, that somebody prayed and that's pretty awesome to think about. That makes me pray harder. That makes me believe more. That makes me know that I know that I know that my God is bigger than anything out there, that whatever I'm facing, even if I think I know the answer, will come out all right in the end. 

And you can't beat that.

-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

Kathryn Elizabeth Jones said...

Wow, this is sensational! My husband and I have been looking and praying for a new house for over 4 years! On Monday our prayers were answered. Timing is everything, so is praying and praying and praying and then listening when the time comes. Thank you for your post.

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...