Wednesday, March 13, 2013

God of Trivial Things

My daughter lost her earring the other day. Problem was she didn't realize it until we'd gone all over town and were standing in the middle of Walmart.

It wasn't a valuable earring. But she liked it, and so instantly my mom-side kicked in. You know, the side that is tormented over something trivial just because it matters to her.

So I did what moms do, I said we'd look for it, and I traipsed all over the store backtracking our footsteps, staring at the dirty tile, and getting more than a few odd looks. Praying a silent prayer I'd find it.

To no avail. That was, after all, the third place we'd been that day. It could be anywhere. It could even be in the car.

But it wasn't.

The earring was simply gone. She joked about giving the remaining one to her friend as a nose piercing. I said, "We could always buy another pair," and then we both forgot.

Today I was vacuuming. Back and forth. Back and forth. And I spotted something shiny and round on the carpet in the doorway to her bedroom. Yep. You guessed it. The earring. Right there under our noses the entire time.

I had a revelation.

Something so small, so minor, and yet finding it reminded me that God cares even about the little things in our lives. The things we think He doesn't notice.

So often we come to Him with only our large requests. And those are important. God wants you to pay your bills. He wants you to walk in health. He wants to be your Source and Provider. But He also wants you to find your earring. 

He is, after all, a parent.

Why then, if you, evil as you are, know well enough how to give your children what is good for them, is not your Father in heaven much more ready to give wholesome gifts to those who ask him? (Mt 7:11 Knox)

God is more than ready. 

He knew where that earring was all along. He knew when I prayed we'd find it while walking across the store. He knew when my daughter went in and out of her room for two days and somehow didn't step on it. He knew when I took out the vacuum. And He knew that I was the last person in my household who would spot anything that small on the ground.

Yet there it was. He cared enough to help me find it.

Thanks, God.



-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA 

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

True Repentance

When He arrives, He will uncover the sins of the world, expose unbelief as sin , and allow all to see their sins in the light of righteou...