Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Working From The Center

My husband and I used to do a lot of fishing. I was never particularly good at it, and frankly, was more interested in seeing the outdoors than catching fish. But one of the worst things to happen was having a fish on the line and suddenly your fishing line is tangled.

There you stood, reel in hand, but you couldn't pull the fish in for the knot that was in the way, and untangling the knot was often nigh to impossible. In fact, if the tangle was bad enough, you'd have to respool, which could never be done on the spot, so your day was done.

You've probably seen a spool of thread being wound on a machine. The thread moves from right to left or left to right so that the thread stays in balance. Out of balance and things will not work correctly. There's too much thread on one side or the other.

The Lord gave me this example for my own life. He used the phrase, "Recenter yourself." I've been thinking on that a lot since. There's always the usual examples of making Christ the center of your life. But I think many of those have left us jaded. We hear them, but don't apply them.

Our firm decision is to work from this focused center. (2Co 5:14 MSG)

So instead, I've seen His command more like that spool of thread. I have to keep all the things in my life in balance. What's on the left needs to be the same as what's on the right. Too much of one or the other, and I become out of whack. And if I'm out of whack in one area, I'll find myself out of whack in others. 

But staying centered is harder to do than you might think because it most often has to be done when life is at its worst. In that moment when you simply want to cry, not pray. Right after someone yells at you and you want to throw something at them. But God is helping me do it by repeating that phrase over and over and over again in my heart.

Recenter yourself, Suzanne.


Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. (Php 4:6-7 MSG)

And this is the voice of the Spirit in the Scriptures. The Message Bible says Christ "displaces worry at the center of your life." I love that word because it's all about staying centered. Water is displaced in a glass when you add ice cubes. Add too many and the water overflows, though by itself the water doesn't fill the glass at all.

So what am I saying? I'm saying work from the center out. Instead of reeling in your line to one side, make sure you take the time to find balance. And above all, give God the reins. Because the best way to get out of balance is to drive the truck by yourself. 

Trust me, He's a much safer driver.


-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams  
Suzanne Williams Photography  
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

The BearPair said...

Good thoughts, Suzanne... the mind-picture I try (with frequent failures) to keep is that of Christ sitting in my heart's chair--right in the center where He belongs! Thanks for the reminder.

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...