Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Guest Author - Dana Pratola

I am thrilled to share my blog today with a dear friend and wonderful Christian author, Dana Pratola. Her book, Descended ~ Jett, changed my opinion of the supernatural in Christian Fiction.

There is a current trend in secular books toward what is labeled "paranormal fiction" - stories filled with strange beings, vampires, and werewolves. Well, Dana Pratola did something frankly, I did not think was possible in a Christian book, she gave paranormal fiction a Christian message and made it ultimately good and clean.

After reading Descended ~ Jett, I read her earlier work, The Covering, and again, found myself surprised by my reaction. This story deals very strongly with intercessory prayer and the battle with demonic forces. Now, I've read many books, but I've never found this storyline presented - much less presented as strongly and as well as she has done it.

So without further ado, here's Dana.

1. Tell us who you'd say you were if you could.

I own a ski chalet in Umbria, Italy, I raise Afghan Hounds, and I’m Parcheesi champion of the Pacific Northwest. Oh…I’m 35. 

When I’m not fantasizing about Italy I’m usually in my kitchen in New Jersey, laughing –or arguing- with my husband and three kids.

2. In both of your books, The Covering and Descended ~ Jett, you feature the power of the supernatural – negative and positive. I think this is what drew me to your writing the most. I also think this has been overlooked in much of Christian fiction. What caused you to go that route with your writing?

Spiritual power is a fact, not just God vs. the devil, but in us too. And such a huge part of life – its there whether you acknowledge it or not – should be addressed.

3. The characters of Gunnar (The Covering) and Jett (Descended ~ Jett) are both such strong male figures with what I’ll call “issues” they must overcome. Similarly, your female characters, Tessa (The Covering) and Haven (Descended ~ Jett) have strong faith and definite morals. Is it easier to write male or female characters for you? And what drew you to create those particular male/female dynamics?

They’re both easy for me but for some reason I have a very clear direction for the men. I write from their POV (point of view) most of the time, which is something even I don’t see very often. The dynamics are part of the formula, which or course is based on real life. Boy meets girl, boy is attracted, girl isn’t sure. Boy gets girl. Boy has no idea what to do with girl. Girl tells him he better figure it out. Quick. Boy does – sorta. They live happily ever after.

4. In your books, I particularly appreciate the down-to-earth look at the attraction between a male and female. Instead of avoiding it, you tackle it head on. I know this thought is controversial in Christian circles. What is your take on this issue? And what is the message you wish to portray where relationships are concerned?

Second only to the relationship between God and His children, is the relationship between man and woman. It’s the pivot on which the human race hinges when you think about it. For Christian writers to underplay this is doing a disservice to real people, and especially to those of us who have had temptations and made the wrong choices and wrestled with condemnation and others’ views. Relationships are messy. They’re convoluted, heart-wrenching and worth every minute.

5. Lastly, what’s next with your writing? I hear word of another in the Descended series being on the horizon.

DESCENDED~Sebastian is next. It’s the story of another of Jett’s kind, who has everything he wants but no satisfaction. He’ll be looking for that special woman to show him what’s important ;-)

Descended ~ Jett

$4.99 Kindle

When a reclusive businessman takes an interest in Haven’s artwork, she knows it’s an answer to prayer. But Jett Cestone is an enigma with a disconcerting connection to the young women in his employ. He’s by far the most unusual man she’s ever met.
Haven is the most interesting woman to ever cross Jett’s path. But she’s too na├»ve and pure to learn what goes on in his home. Too bad he wants her more than he’s wanted anyone or anything in his life.





-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

True Repentance

When He arrives, He will uncover the sins of the world, expose unbelief as sin , and allow all to see their sins in the light of righteou...