Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Why Christian Fiction?

Why Christian Fiction?

I am asked this question a lot since I began writing fiction, and so I feel the need to clear up a few things for my blog readers. Here are the three most common questions.

1. Have I stopped writing nonfiction?"

The answer is definitely, "No." I write nonfiction all the time - on photography, writing, and, of course, devotionals. I love writing nonfiction and have no plans at any point in time to stop. It is part of who I am.

2. What about your photography?

I haven't stopped that either. Of course, writing takes away some of my time, but you will still find me wandering around with my camera in hand. I love photographs, macro work especially, and insect photography most of all.

3. Why are you writing Christian Fiction?"

I have read books since before I could read books. My mother will attest to this. She says I'd take the books from her and announce I would read. In high school, I devoured books. In fact, the thicker the novel and the longer the series, the happier I was. So fiction is part of me, something I enjoy, and way down deep inside, something I've always wanted to do.

But what is Christian Fiction? For me, what makes the book "Christian" is that the character has morals. It isn't that I want the book to be squeaky clean with ethereal characters that touch fingertips and poof, she's pregnant. No. I want the story to be as realistic as any other award-winning book.

However, Christianity is a lifestyle.I am a Christian because I believe every page of the Word of God, because God's thoughts are my thoughts. When a situation faces me, I look at it as God would look at it. It is as natural to me as breathing. I don't think about my reaction or formulate a sermon first. Books that do that aren't "Christian Fiction" to me, but "Religious Fiction," and there is a distinct difference.

Characters in a Christian Fiction novel deal with life the same as anyone else their age, ethnicity, or  historical setting, and their faith enhances the main plot without overtaking it. People still fall in love, but God's thoughts about abstinence and fleshly lust take precedence over free sex, without replacing it in its proper place - that of a married couple in love.

Yet at the same time, CF characters don't cease to feel. They make mistakes. They get into messes. They have problems. But ultimately they turn to God for help and correction. They pray. They worship. The repent. But they also desire, and they kiss.


God bless! And in the future, look for features with indie authors alongside my usual posts.

-------------------------------
Suzanne D. Williams
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.
Don't forget "It All Began With A Salad" is free at Smashwords this month with the code ZU53R


No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...