Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Living In A Bed of Roses

And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side.  (Mark 4:35)

"God never said it's gonna be a bed of roses," they say.

Oh, really? So what then? I should go through life expecting something bad to happen to me? Always on the edge of doubt and despair? Because you never know when the bad stuff will come along.

Puh-lease, girlfriend. There's no Scripture for that.

"But look at the story of the storm in Mark 4," you say. "Didn't Jesus send them into the storm?"

Uhm. No, He didn't. If you think that, you don't know Jesus very well. Jesus didn't send them into the storm. He didn't consider the storm at all.

What do I mean? Look at Abraham. What does the Scripture say?

And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:  (Romans 4:19)

Abraham didn't consider his body at all.

God speaks to him, tells him he'll be the father of nations. At no time did Abraham sit down and say, "Now, wait a minute. I'm too old. Sarah's too old. My body can't do this. What if something happens to her? What if she can't carry the baby to term? What if ... What if ..."

No. He said, "Okay," and GAVE NO THOUGHT to the state of his body.

So going back to the lake - Jesus says, "Take me to the other side." That's all He meant.

He didn't say. "Take me to the other side, but maybe there will be a storm. Maybe during the storm, you'll get afraid, and then I can teach you a scriptural principle. I think I'll take advantage of the upcoming storm."

Jesus didn't make any decision based on what bad thing might happen.

In fact, in this case, He fell asleep. Had they not woke Him up, He wouldn't have known there was a storm in the first place!

And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?  (Mark 4:38)

Here's a revelation for you. The disciples had every right to fall asleep too.

"What?"

You heard me. Jesus himself asked them, "Why are ye so fearful? How is it that ye have no faith?" (verse 40). I mean, they were in the boat with Jesus. Of all the people to be in a boat with during a storm He's it! And if Jesus is asleep, then He must be pretty confident we're going to make it there. Then He isn't spending His time worrying about the storm, the size of the waves, the strength of the wind, if the boat will capsize or not.

He wasn't doing any of that. He was sleeping!

What if the disciples had followed his example? What if they had laid down and said, "Cool. He's asleep, so I'll join Him." What great faith!

Jesus didn't consider the storm, and so neither will I. I refuse to go through my life expecting bad stuff to happen to me. Instead, I will prepare my footsteps through daily meditation in the Word of God. I will spend time in prayer. I will keep my faith strong and place my expectations in God's desire for me to live prosperous, healthy, and successful.

In short, I'm expecting a bed of roses.

Faith assures us of things we expect and convinces us of the existence of things we cannot see.  (Hebrews 11:1 GW)
 

A person who has doubts shouldn't expect to receive anything from the Lord.  (James 1:7 GW)


What we expect will be what we receive. If I'm full of doubt, then James says I cannot expect anything from God. Yet look at Hebrews. I can expect what I cannot even see.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that God wants good things for me. It is God's will I have the bed of roses. It's His will I get up each morning singing "Hallelujah," ready to take on each day by faith. He wants me walking hand-in-hand with the Holy Spirit, who teaches me all things. (Jn 14:26) He protects me with His Almighty presence everywhere I go. I am never afraid of "height nor depth nor any other thing." (Rm 8:39) I consider only the blessing He has given to me.

God has provided it everything I need to live a long, happy, victorious life, and it's up to me to decide, like Jesus did that afternoon on the Sea of Galilee, if I'm gonna sleep in the boat or worry about the storm.

Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. (Isaiah 43:18-19)


-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...