Saturday, July 7, 2012

Humility

If you ever want to experience humility, become a writer. There's nothing worse than pouring your heart out on the page and then sending it to an editor. I admit sometimes their remarks make me want to pitch the tantrum of a five-year-old. My back pressed to the floor, legs and arms flailing, I think I'll lay there and cry and scream. But that would be non-productive, though it does tend to make me feel better.

My biggest issue is that for me the shoe is often on the other foot . I've been a professional proofreader for years. Correcting words, spelling, commas, and sentences is the mark of my profession. Yet every time I proofread for someone, I'm careful to present my comments in a manner that do not offend the other person or make them feel like I'm out to get them. I question now how successful I've been and this humbles me more than anything else.

Why is it humans always want to defend themselves? We must be at the top of our game at all times, ahead of the crowd, on the edge of success. Yet true success often comes the most through our ability to step back and say, "I'm not as good as I thought I was." True success is anti-pride. I hate pride. I hate seeing it in myself or in others. Never come to me bein' "all that" and think I'm leaving your presence impressed.

No. Instead, those moments when you admit your failings. That's what's most impressive. For none of us are perfect. Myself included. So what sometimes my feelings get hurt when I have to re-edit something. I know all along they are right and I am wrong. Yet I still pitch an inward hissy fit. Perhaps the fit is a step forward along the way to progress. I tell myself that it is. At the same time, I determine to keep on writing.

I like what I heard another author say. She remarked that her goal was to make $10.00 selling her book. That about sums it up. If the reviews don't come in, or if negative reviews come in, if nothing I write ever sells, if the only comments I get are from family and friends who love me no matter what I write, then that is just fine.

I didn't "get into" writing. It fell on me. I didn't decide to become an author. God said, "Put all that in a book." So I did, and humility is part of the process. I only trust along the way it creates in me both a better writer and a better person.

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, say aloud "I am a writer" can be very humbling.

I am a writer. Not published, but maybe some day. And I love taking photos of nature. Something always catches my eye....or is it my heart?

Thank you for writing.
Gilbert

True Repentance

When He arrives, He will uncover the sins of the world, expose unbelief as sin , and allow all to see their sins in the light of righteou...