Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday Photographs

I took a walk this week at the Circle B Reserve in Lakeland, Florida, and enjoyed the outdoors. Each time I go there, I see something different. This time it was a butterfly, a Black Swallowtail feeding on one of several very tall thistles. People speak badly of weeds, but often they are what attracts the insects the best.

Palamedes Swallowtail Butterfly

I also spent time with a Tawny Emperor Butterfly which was puddling in the mud along the shore of nearby Lake Hancock. Puddling is what butterflies do to extract salt from the soil. Here is a view after it flew to the trunk of a tree.
Variegated Fritillary Butterfly

The squirrels there have gotten really friendly. We saw dozens and none of them were particularly bothered by us or my lens. Here's my favorite shot of them from the day.
Gray Squirrel

To see more images from my trip that day - visit my Webshots.

I do have a couple images from around the house. I had a Swallow-tailed Kite buzz my head when I was on the front porch. I missed that shot and had to settle for another with the bird further overhead. It's not the best picture in the world, but you can see the shape of the bird's tail feathers that give it the name.
Swallow-tailed Kite

My pink climbing rose is in full bloom! If you look in the center of the flower, you can see a Green Lynx Spider.
Pink Climbing Rose

I caught this capture of a male green anole just winning a battle with another male. The red portion of his neck is called his "dewlap." Male anoles will extend their dewlap to attract females and warn off other males.
Male Green Anole

Least of all I photographed was a tiny Cassius Blue butterfly. Photographing these tiny creatures is hard because they are constantly moving. The wings are probably the size of a dime. This one was laying eggs on my Plumbago plant.
Cassius Blue Butterfly

Finally, here's Saturday night's full moon. (This image has been cropped from the original.)
Full Moon

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturday

The June 30th free book giveaway will be my newest release, HE WAS A SOLDIER in honor of the upcoming July 4th holiday. If you like my...