Thursday, January 12, 2012

Why I Worship

I went to a concert last night, something I don't often do, of a local band whose members I met at my church. It reminded me of why I worship, and I so needed to be reminded.

This has been a not-so-good week for me. The stresses of work, home, and my daughter's schooling got to me. Truth is, I prepared for them to get to me. I knew last week what was coming up and I dreaded it. This only allowed it a foothold in my heart. And you know how that goes, then everything snowballs on you. Suddenly, it wasn't just the things I knew about, but all the other things I was unprepared for too.

Come Wednesday morning, with yet more tasks before me, I was completely wiped out. But I had promised my daughter we'd go to this concert, so we went.


I'm so glad we did. Sitting there in the presence of God, I saw it all again. I knew why worship was such a good thing for me, and I remembered. I remembered how it healed my heart during my struggle with fear, how it continues to heal me each day. I remembered that five minutes in God's presence does more to refresh me than five days off or five hours of extra sleep.

Funny thing is, God set me up for it. As these kids with such a heart for God worshiped and lifted Him up, I heard no heavenly voice, yet I knew what God wanted me to see. He wanted me to see that He, in effect, prepared that time and place for me in advance. You see, I know myself. Except for the fact that my daughter was told just two days ago that she needed to attend four concerts for one of her classes, my sheer exhaustion would have kept me home. I think God knew that too. He knows me, and He rearranged my life in such a way that I had to go. He knew what it would take to get me there. He also knew what it would do for my well being.

I feel today like a new person. Worship always does that for me. It is like words of the old song state, "In the light of His presence things grow strangely dim." No longer am I focused on my problems. Instead, my focus is how great God is - how much higher and broader and stronger He is than everything around me, anything I face. All the pressures of the present fall away and my heart regains the balance its supposed to have: where God is bigger and everything else is smaller.

I needed to worship last night, and my great and mighty God unbeknownst to me placed me where that was all I was there to do. Thanks God! For You are holy. You are worthy. You are more than enough...

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

Sue Ballard Harris said...

Suzanne, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the renewing we experience when we worship. We do worship a powerful, loving God.
Sue

Story Saturdays

This month's FREE BOOK has been selected. For email subscribers only, I will send a download link to a copy of STEELE (Billionaire Boys...