Sunday, August 14, 2011

Point of Focus

A Flower Holds The Sun

When I took this photograph, the sunrise wasn't really any different than other sunrises. The flowers in my garden were the same in appearance that they are at any other time of day, and I started to take the same old photograph I've taken from that vantage point. It would have been beautiful too. But instead, my gaze shifted to create an image a little out of the ordinary. I altered my focus from the sun, which was dominant in the sky, to the effect its light gave the flower. In photography, we call this "point of focus."

I read a statement the other day, which applies to this thought from outside of photography.


We must quit looking at our own abilities and failures and limitations and start looking to God.

In the same manner that I created this image of the flower holding the sun, the answer is in our point of focus. One author described it as the struggle of a wrestling match. He said his mind and heart "teeter back and forth between attitudes that are life-giving and those that bring darkness." He then went on to state, "On a given day, I can be filled with praise and gratitude one minute and then overcome by fear or anger in the next." *

Oh, how well I identify with those statements! We must get our eyes off of what we can or cannot do and place them on who God is.

I like the words of 1 Corinthians 4:6 from The Message Bible. It says in part, "It's important to look at things from God's point of view." Think about that - God's point of view! You see, the fact is, as long as we continue to look at the size of the problem, the problem will remain large, too big to handle. All we'll see is the sun, and we'll miss the beauty of the flower.

I say this all the time, but God is GREATER than your problem. He is BIGGER. He is HIGHER. He is MORE THAN ENOUGH. God's desire is for your success, so lift up your eyes and look at where your help comes from! (Ps 121:1-2) Look at WHO your help is! Change your point of focus.

Instead of failure, expect triumph. Expect God to DO what He said he would DO. You know, sometimes we can't see it. I have things facing me today that I can't explain, I can't fix, and I don't know what to do about. I have major decisions I must think about. Yet the solution is not mine to make. My job is to focus on God and let Him work the answer. He's strong enough and wise enough for that! (2Sam 22:30)

*"More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life With God," by Doug Sherman

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...