Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Satisfied Soul

What is worship? I can tell you it is more than 3 songs on Sunday, a prayer on Wednesday evening, and a random daily Bible verse reading. Worship is an intense longing for something or someone. It is urgent desire.

I love the words of Psalm 63, but notice the desperation phrased in verse 1.

O GOD, You are my God, earnestly will I seek You; my inner self thirsts for You, my flesh longs and is faint for You. (Ps 63:1 AMP)

"Earnestly," "thirsts," "longs," and "faint," these are strong words! The psalmist cries out, "My flesh longs to see Your power and glory, Lord." (v2) Then in he goes on to say, "My lips shall praise thee," and, "Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name." (v3-4)

He has chosen to worship.

But why? Why the longing? Why the intensity of desire? It is to come to the place of the soul described in verse 5.

My soul shall be satisfied...

Worship brings satisfaction to the soul. Satisfaction is complete contentment. It is total fulfillment of every need or want, rest and peace, joy and happiness. Satisfaction comes as the result of worship.

Through worship, I restore myself to the place God needs me to be, in surrender, and I restore God to the place He needs to be, in control. Any other arrangement will not work. If my decisions are higher than God's for me, then I will fail.

Worship is relationship and it is intimate. That is a new concept for some - intimacy with God. Yet Christ Himself prayed we'd be "one" with God as He was "one" with God. (Jn 17:22) This is unity! Just imagine where unity with God will take you!

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (1Co 2:9)

I haven't even begun to grasp what God has prepared for me. What has God prepared for you? Satisfaction? Take the limits off of God, my friend, and worship.

FURTHER READING: Psalm 107:5-9

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

A Note To My Readers

Dear Readers, I was in the path of Hurricane Irma. I still do not have power at home and so am living a bit like a refugee. I have ...