Friday, April 1, 2011

Yet Another Blog About Trust


For I am not ashamed of the Gospel (good news) of Christ, for it is God's power working unto salvation [for deliverance from eternal death] to everyone who believes with a personal trust and a confident surrender and firm reliance (Rm 1:16 AMP).

I tell people all the time that the words I write are usually written as much to myself as they are for the benefit of others. They are my personal meditations of what the Lord is dealing with me about. Well, it seems the subject of "trust" has already come up three times, and this tells me I have really had to work on it.

Trust In The Lord (August 19, 2009)
Trust (November 21, 2010)
Life A Life of Surrender (December 15, 2010)

Now, I took the time, before writing today, to read each of these and can truthfully say I do not regret or take back one word. In fact, instead I find my memory refreshed. (This is the benefit of writing things down.) Their simple truths flow along with the ultimate purpose of this particular blog.

Trust is relationship.


The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. (Ps 18:2)

In order to develop trust, there must first be a relationship. You cannot trust without knowing in whom you are trusting. They must have a willingness to work on my behalf. I cannot place my trust if there is no "want to" help me.

Trust is submission.


Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you (Jam 3:7).

More specifically, trust is submission to the power and authority of another. I trust someone when I know they have something I do not. They might have more time, more strength, or more wisdom than I. But ultimately, they are capable of doing what I cannot, so I submit, or yield, to that.

Trust is sacrifice.


So then, any of you who does not forsake (renounce, surrender claim to, give up, say good-bye to) all that he has cannot be My disciple (Lk 14:33 AMP).

True trust requires complete surrender and great sacrifice. No longer will I do things my way (Remember, I am trusting in another because I am not capable of handling the situation.). I sacrifice my methods, allowing another to choose and perform the task. This step is perhaps the hardest of all, but it leads me to my final point.

Trust is rest.

Trust in the LORD...Delight thyself also in the LORD...Commit thy way unto the LORD...Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him (Ps 37:3,4,5,7).

When I am trusting, I have no fear about the final outcome. Instead, I rest, knowing that the one I trust in will do what's best for me. I submit myself to them fully and sacrifice my own desires for theirs.


Photo by my husband
Floating Leaf, Amicalola Falls, Georgia

In order to talk about trust, we have to talk about anti-trust or "self" control. For this, I'd like to offer a visual analogy. Complete trust, like the leaf above, is being in a state of total suspension. It is being, in fact, out of control. All the "self" control I have is gone. Instead, things are in God's control. I no longer lean on my own knowledge, my ability to organize, or my mental capacity, and here's what grabs me the most about trust, because I realize I am unable!

Continually, we try to do what we know we cannot. We expect ourselves to find a way to fix things that are very plainly out of our control. I think of my physical healing here. There are things I am believing God to "fix" in my body. I have SAID my faith is in God, yet when the stress of my inability comes up and my body is failing again, I still mentally try to correct the situation and I become afraid. "What if I can't..." The truth is I can't, and there lies the trust issue.

In the area of physical healing, I have to trust God completely. I must know He is willing. I know it because He and I have a relationship. He is my heavenly Father; we spend time together. I daily feel His presence in my life; I hear His heartbeat, we are that close. There isn't any doubt in my heart He loves me and desires for me to be strong. I then submit to His power and authority. He has everything I need. When I feel I cannot walk out of my house, He takes my hand and walks with me. When my mind is troubled, His anointing brings peace. I rely on His omnipotence, knowing He will AND He can.

As a result, I offer the sacrifice of praise. (Heb 13:15) It's a sacrifice, because I relinquish my control. I let go of my ideas and plans in favor of His. It's also a sacrifice because sometimes I don't want to do it. Some days it seems hard for me to leave home; my physical body and my mind want to collapse and give up. But instead, I obey His voice and with praise in my lips, believe in His promise to get me there and bring me home.

True trust is absent of fear. As long as I entertain fear, some part of me remains in control. Yet if I know God does not need my help, I can then rest in Him. Instead of terror and panic, He is all I need to remain suspended. What freedom this brings! Like a child placing his reliance in a parent or grandparent to supply for him, to carry him the places he needs to go, and to keep him safe, I don't have to worry any longer for my trust is in God.


---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...