Friday, March 4, 2011

Who do you want God to be?


Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? (36) He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? (Jn 9:35-36)
John 9 finds Jesus in the midst of a debate over the healing of a blind man. It wasn't enough that the blind man received his sight; the religious leaders had to argue over whose fault it was that the man was born blind to start with. First, they accosted the man's parents, who immediately said to ask their son. The son's reply was simple. He said, "One thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see." (v25)

You'd think that would be enough, but they pressed the man further, "Who did this and how did he do it?" (v26)

Again, the blind man responds. "I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples?" (v27)

In other words, "You didn't hear me the first time! Why must I repeat it?" At this point, the leaders begin to say all types of bad things about him.

At that moment, the light of revelation comes into the blind man's heart. I can see it. I have been there. That moment when suddenly you KNOW the truth.

The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes. (31) Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. (32) Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. (33) If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. (Jn 9:30-33)
This brings us to the only response Jesus makes on the entire debate. The religious leaders cast the man out in continued disbelief, and Jesus steps in to talk directly to the blind man.

"Do you believe in the Son of God?" He asks.
"Who is he?" the man replies.
"I am he." Jesus states.
"I believe!" (v35-38)

Just the other day, when I was doing my daily meditation, I heard a question rise up from within my heart. It is similar to the one Jesus phrased to Peter in Mark 8:29, "Whom say ye that I am?"

My heart spoke, "WHO do you want God to be?"

It's such a simple question, yet the answer is profound. Man, in his own mind, continually acts just like those Pharisees. Even with such a great proof before us, we refuse to believe. The blind man knew God had to be behind his healing, yet the leaders of the church made fun of him. They took a moment of God's mercy and compassion and tossed it aside under their own misunderstandings. To them, none of it made any sense.

I have long said that people do not like to be wrong. I see it over and over again - men defending themselves despite their errors. "It's not mine. I didn't do it," when God just wants us to admit our sin and move on into the blessings He has prepared for us. Didn't He speak these words through the prophet Isaiah long ago?

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land. (Isa 1:18-19)
Willing and obedient! The question asks again, "Who do YOU want God to be?"

The blind man wanted a God who would heal him. The woman who anointed Jesus feet wanted forgiveness. (Lk 7:38) Who is God to you? Who do you believe in?

I believe the most vital wisdom we must all obtain is who God is. We must know Him, know His power. (Php 3:10) Our faith rests in the knowledge of all the things God is. He is love. (1Jn 4:8,16) He is faithful. (Deut 7:9) He is forgiveness. (Dan 7:9;Lk 5:21) He is mercy and compassion. (Deut. 4:31;Neh 9:31) Why, like those Pharisees, cast this knowledge aside?

"God won't help me."
"God doesn't heal today."
"God can't possibly forgive HER!"

Who God is, He is to you, to me, to the world. He hasn't changed. He won't change. He is eternal. He is forever. (Mal 3:6;Deut 33:7)

Who DO you want God to be? My God is powerful. He is mighty, and full of deliverance. (Ps 29:4;Neh 9:32;Ps 50:1) My God is great; He is wise. (Ps 77:13;Ps 95:3;Job 36:5;Ro 11:33) Whatever I need, He is there to provide it. (Mt 6:8-9)

That's who God is! And I believe it!

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...