Sunday, January 16, 2011

Night Photography

I am fascinated by the sky at night. Somehow it seems bigger and grander. Perhaps it is as much that you can't see anything else around you. Many a minute have I spent with my eyes focused on the stars, just marveling in wonder at it all.

Now and again, I break out the camera and attempt a night shot. I usually have more failures than successes. But now and again, my results surprise me. I took this first shot in my own yard. Truthfully, I chose to take it because the palm tree gave my camera something to focus on. However, the longer exposure gave the light breeze time to ruffle the tree's fronds. I think the results are rather romantic.

Palm Tree at Night

I took this next photograph while on vacation. The night was frigid and still when I ventured outdoors. I just love the green color of the house against the sky. It perfectly captures how I felt at that moment, small and unimportant.

The Mountain Sky at Night

The final photograph I wish to share was again taken in my own backyard. I call it "Ghost". In a bit of an experiment, I had my daughter light her face with her cell phone for about 5 seconds of a 30 second exposure. She then walked out of the image. The results are pretty cool!

Ghost

I do not pretend to be an expert. In fact, I am an early bird so far as bedtime is concerned. (I could not believe how many people asked me if I was going to stay up and photograph the recent lunar eclipse. Like duh! That was at 2 AM! What do you think?) But what shots I do take, I enjoy and more than that, if I don't take any at all. I'll still stand there my neck craned back, staring at the sky.

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

From The Author: This year, I released 15 novels or novellas, with 6 of those as 2 complete sets. I also finished the Billionaire Boys Clu...