Friday, January 7, 2011

A LIVING Gospel

Crepe Myrtle Seeds

We've all heard the analogy of the seed before. Within each seed is the potential for a mighty harvest. And it's a good analogy. Yet without a true revelation of it, it becomes just so many words on the page. We read the Bible that way too. We tell its stories and memorize its verses, but without it meaning much to us at the time.

Revelation is a mighty thing. It's that moment when you unexpectedly - "AHA!" - see something you've read or heard many times before. You've read it, but now it's ALIVE. Now, you KNOW it!

The apostle Peter had a revelation. Jesus asked him, "Who am I?" It could be he'd never thought about that before. It could be, like myself, he lay awake at night thinking about it. Whatever it was, at that moment, all at once, Peter knew the answer.
"Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." (Matt 16:16)
Again, here's a story we've read before. Sermons are preached around Jesus' words. But how much have you really thought about Peter's revelation? Here's someone who had walked and talked with Jesus. He'd seen the healings and the miracles. What made the difference between that and what he now SAW in his heart?

Suddenly, Jesus wasn't just his friend, his master, or even a guy he "hangs with". Jesus at that moment became the Christ; he became LIVING. He now was the Anointed One, full of power and glory.

Back, for a moment, to our analogy of the seed. Pick up any seed and examine it. It doesn't look like much, does it? But within that seed is LIFE. You can't see it when you're looking at it. You can't see it when you put it in the ground. Yet the LIFE is there.

So many words on the page...

This gospel we read is more than letters, words, sentences, and paragraphs. It's more than a book we tote to church. It's greater than preachers, churches, and congregations. This word, just like that seed, is LIVING. It's ALIVE.

It's ALIVE when I get up in the morning. It LIVES when I go to work. When I pray, it's God's LIFE that answers. When I worship, it's His LIFE that descends. I call upon Him in times of need and He sends LIFE to me. Moment by moment, LIFE speaks to me, moves in me, and changes me.

Think about LIFE for a moment. Something living always lives; I don't have to be physically looking at it for it to be living. A seed planted is alive. Walk away and it continues to grow and change. But a book remains a book when you set it down. Leave it lying around, forget what you've read, it remains a book.

But God is ALIVE. God's Word is ALIVE. It's a LIVING gospel. Even when I stupidly ignore it, it continues to LIVE. Like a seed, it always contains the potential of LIFE. Given good ground, light and revelation, the water of prayer, it begins to do what it had the ability to do all along.

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. (Ps 139:7-10)
I cannot escape it. God's LIFE abides in me. God's LIFE is always, everywhere, and all the time.

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...