Sunday, January 1, 2012

God Is Good All The Time

I read a true story written by someone who had been through a terrible time in their life. I cried for them and was touched by their sorrow. But in the midst of their story, they said what I have heard so many say - that God wanted them to learn something from it.

Sigh.

To be entirely truthful, despite the platitudes they offered at the end - how they found healing from their grief through faith in Christ - I couldn't get past that one comment because it is so WRONG.

God Is Good All The Time

Let's settle it here. God is good all the time. Until you have placed the foundation of that in your heart, you will never be able to overcome through faith in Him whatever the devil throws your way. For there's the truth of it. The devil is the enemy. If it's bad, it came from him.

There are numerous proofs of this in the Bible. Jesus gave an example in his ministry. In it, He referred to Himself as the shepherd. Then He spoke about the purpose of the thief.


I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. 10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. (John 10:9-11)

It seems pretty apparent that if He is the shepherd, come to give abundant life, then He cannot be the thief, come to steal. Anything or anyone that is stealing, killing, or destroying in your life, is the work of the thief - not God.

Jesus gives another example in the book of Luke. Here, He states that earthly parents, that'd be you and I, give their children GOOD gifts, therefore the heavenly Father gives GOOD gifts. You'd think that'd be clear enough. However, someone in the crowd then stands up and accuses Him of casting out devils using the devil's power.

I can just see Him shaking His head.


If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? 14 And he was casting out a devil, and it was dumb. And it came to pass, when the devil was gone out, the dumb spake; and the people wondered. 15 But some of them said, He casteth out devils through Beelzebub the chief of the devils. 16 And others, tempting him, sought of him a sign from heaven. 17 But he, knowing their thoughts, said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and a house divided against a house falleth. 18 If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? (Luke 11:13-18)

Think for a minute. If every kingdom divided will fall, then God does NOT use the devil because that makes Him divided against Himself.

God Is Here To Heal

Jesus also told us what the power of God in our lives is called to do. Given we now know it does NOT steal, kill or destroy, because that is the department of the thief, and He is not divided against Himself to use any of those things against us, then what IS His purpose?

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised. (Luke 4:18)

To preach. To heal. To deliver. To recover. To set at liberty. That about covers it.

So who is to blame when things go wrong in our lives?Well, I caution you against always saying, "The devil made me do it," because sometimes we do it of our own accord. Most know what I went through with my battle against fear. Do you know at no time did I blame that on God? I did learn something from it, but guess what I learned? I learned that God loved me - always - that God wanted me free - always - that God is bigger and stronger and higher than the devil. I learned I was wrong in the way I behaved, the way I spoke, the way I acted. I learned that fear isn't that big, only seems like it, and that through the power of repentance, a mighty, powerful, omnipotent God would sweep in give me complete repentance and heal me physically, mentally, and spiritually.

But I could have gotten all of that by listening to what I'd heard growing up. My mother taught it. My pastors preached it. The Bible in my lap said so. However, I didn't believe any of it. I did what I wanted to do and eventually paid the price for my sin. And that had nothing to do with God's will for me.

A Good God!

There was one statement in the story I read that DID stick with me. About midway through the book, the author asked, "Why don't we pray when things are going good?" There is a huge truth, and here is the answer. We pray when things are going good because we hunger and crave to spend time with the One who is only good and only desires to give good things to us. He is our Father and our best friend.

Sometimes our limited human knowledge prevents us from knowing the path of our feet. Sometimes we can't see God's plan and sometimes bad things happen. This is where faith steps in. No matter what I do or don't understand about the evil in the world, I know that I know that I know that it wasn't God's desire for me.

I like the words of Psalm 52:1, "The goodness of God endureth continually." That, my friend, sizes it up. God is truly good all the time. Do you believe it? I do!

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...