Friday, December 31, 2010

Yearning

It came to me this morning that just as much as I yearn for God, he yearns that much more for me. Psalm 42:1 speaks directly from my heart, "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God." Panteth, that's an intense longing for. I long for him. I long for his presence.

But did you know he has the same longing for you and me? In fact, his longing is more intense because behind it is Jesus' sacrifice, behind it is the power and anointing to get things accomplished in our lives.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35-39)
We don't give God enough credit for being as big as he really is. Time and circumstances go by and somehow the amazing things he's done fade from our view. Instead, we are to be like David who in Psalm 119 fully expressed his longing. He said, "My soul breaketh for the longing that it hath unto thy judgments at all times." (Ps 119:20)

Have you yearned for God that much? Until your soul breaks? A yearning that intense demands satisfaction. It becomes the sole focus of our day, our month, our life. We become consumed with it, and in the process all the other things around us fade from view. It is as the words of the old hymn, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace." (Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus) That's longing!

That size longing comes from constantly viewing who God is, keeping him before us at all times. Again, hear the words of King David.
I remembered thy judgments of old, O LORD; and have comforted myself. (Psalms 119:52)
He remembered. He spent time meditating "day and night" on the great things of God. He looked into the face of God, and in the process he found comfort. (Jos 1:8) He found peace, rest, and yet more hunger.

Our yearning for God needs to be as magnificent, as huge, as Jesus' was for us when he stood on earth facing the cross.

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. (John 17:21-23)
Think about that. I yearning for him; he yearning for me until I become one with God, until I know his voice. (Jn 10:27) That's marvelous!

Never doubt that God loves you, my friend. His love is SO huge we cannot begin to comprehend it. God is big! God is love! All the time.

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...