Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Live a Life of Surrender


Surrender to God! Resist the devil, and he will run from you. (James 4:7 CEV)
I like this particular translation because it uses the word "surrender". In order to "surrender" something we have to act; surrender is a verb. And part of the action of "surrender" is its requirement that we give up everything else. If you think about that, without the "giving up" it isn't really surrender at all.
All to Jesus I surrender
All to him I freely give
I will ever love and trust him
In his presence daily live.

I surrender all
I surrender all
All to thee, my blessed Savior
I surrender all. *
We sing songs about surrender all the time. But how long have you really sat and thought about how much you have to do to become truly surrendered?

God's requirements are always black and white. In James 5:17, we are told, "Let your Yes be Yes, and your No be No." (BBE) Deuteronomy 30:19 states, "I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life." Then again in the book of James we find, "Let him ask in faith, nothing wavering." In each of these verses, it is unequivocal what the options are. We must choose one way or the other. Even more definite are the words of the Lord in Revelation 3:15-16. Here He is even more assured when He says, "I wish you were cold or hot." (GW) There is no halfway in surrender. Either you do it or you don't.

I have good news though! The blessings of surrender far outweigh anything you can accomplish on your own. Think first about WHO you are surrendering to. This is the God of heaven and earth, the Maker of it all, our Savior, Healer, and very Best Friend! This is He who can count the hairs on your head. This is Love itself! (Matthew 10:30;1 John 4:16) Surrendering to God is relinquishing yourself into the hands of He who loves you the most; He who sent His Son to die for you!

"Live a life of surrender"

When God spoke those words to me, I knew immediately what He meant. You see, I once reached a point in my life where physically, mentally, and emotionally I had nothing left. I was completely empty with no hope and no joy. There was literally nothing left of "me". I can remember thinking, "Either God steps in and fixes 'me' or I will remain broken because I can't do it. I can't lift myself up." There was nothing left to do BUT surrender.

Surrendering to God is trusting Him to help you take every step. It means deliberately reliquishing any reliance you have on yourself, whether that is talent, skill, or knowledge. You no longer ask, "What can I do?" but "What will GOD do?" because your dependence is now on Him. Think of a baby. Babies are totally surrendered to their parents. They cannot do anything for themselves so it's the parents job to support them.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:29-30)
It's kind of exciting really, living in surrender, because you know you didn't do any of it. When you are truly surrendered, you are free of weights and pressures. You see, surrender places you in the rest of God. This is why His burden is light. It's HIS BURDEN, not mine.

Surrender places us into a position where our every emotion, every frustration, every sorrow of heart, every business choice, every financial mess, every health problem are His. Then, when I find myself picking the burden back up again, I remind myself, "You messed yourself up last time, Suzanne. Remember how dependable YOU are!"

"Oh, right! You're right. I'm sorry, Lord. I surrender. You fix it!" And He does, every single time.

*"I Surrender All" words by J.W. Van Deventer

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

From The Author: This year, I released 15 novels or novellas, with 6 of those as 2 complete sets. I also finished the Billionaire Boys Clu...