Sunday, December 19, 2010

Be Prepared


And having shod your feet in preparation [to face the enemy with the firm-footed stability, the promptness, and the readiness produced by the good news] of the Gospel of peace. (Eph 6:15 AMP)
The story in Matthew 25 of the five foolish virgins illustrates this scripture perfectly. I have always equated that particular story with preparation for the coming of Christ, and this is a right interpretation. However, preparation is more than simply sitting around waiting for the Second Coming. That smacks of laziness to me. No, we must stay prepared on a daily basis so that whatever comes at us, we are ready.

It makes no sense for a marathon runner to not exercise. How will he then finish the race, much less place and win an award? He physically won't be able to run all those miles. Mentally, he won't be strong enough to combat the stresses of long-distance running. Well, not spending time talking with God during your day makes no sense either. We ask God to answer us when we are in a time of desperation, but neglect him the rest of the time. This is not good enough for me!

Notice the full description in Ephesians 6:15 - ready to meet the enemy in firm-footed stability. I like that description. I have been in a place before where nothing felt stable, and it was a very dark place indeed. Since then, I have dedicated my heart to seek out the Gospel daily. Every day I spend time praying in the Spirit. The Word of God says this strengthens us. (Jude 20) Every day I spend time in worship. This places me in God's presence where bondages are broken and I can better hear the Father's heart. (Is 10:27) I do these things every day, no matter how I feel.

Someone recently asked me how long each day do I do them. My response was that I do them until I am ready, until I can do what I need to do that day. Some days that might be 10 minutes, others three hours. If I need three hours to be ready to go, then I get up early and take three hours. How ever long it takes, I do it. I am in myself not strong enough to combat life; I am only able because I stay prepared.

Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak. (Mark 14:38)
I won't be caught again with my heart and head empty and my thoughts vain. Instead, I will be "strong in the Lord and the power of His might." (Eph 6:10) I will be ready! I will be prepared.

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...