Sunday, November 21, 2010

Trust


Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5)
I write on a lot of subjects, and each one truthfully comes from something the Lord is speaking about to me. They are the lessons He is giving me. Most times, I write in a more formal style, as if it would be in a publication. But occasionally, He leads me to write more candidly, more from the heart. This lesson is one of those.

I am not sure I have learned everything God has for me to know about trusting Him. My human failings in this area seem to be enormous. Daily I have to overcome my fleshly yearnings to "take over" and do something that is really His job. You see, when it comes to trusting in God, that is what it all boils down to - we, the children, trying to do what it is His responsibility to do.

I would place it as being similar to a two-year-old writing the checks that pay his parents' bills. What parent hands their toddler the checkbook? That doesn't make sense on many levels, but mostly on the level of maturity. They are not mentally equipped for the responsibility of an adult. We know this as parents. Well, when Proverbs 3:5 says, "Lean not to YOUR OWN understanding," that is exactly what is is talking about.

Trusting God is a very hard thing to "do" because it requires us to "do" nothing at all. Think about that. You are in the midst of some type of turmoil, perhaps financial or job-related, and your part in God's equation is to actually do nothing. That seems preposterous! Our human nature is to fix everything. We spend so many hours toiling in vain to change the mind of our spouse or our children or even our pastor. "If they would just do it MY way!" and we never accomplish anything in the process.

In actuality, we have been told to simply "stand therefore" believing God will follow through. (Ephesians 6:14) There is an amazing freedom in that. Every time I find myself picking back up the task which God has told me to lay down, that "still, small voice" inside says, "That's not your job," and it hits me, "Oh yeah, you're right. It's not." That is the definition of trust.

I have told my daughter often over the years that trust is such a fragile entity. Once broken, it is almost impossible to repair. But that is when speaking about trust between people. Trust with God is on an entirely different magnitude because with God "all things are possible". With God, "He is faithful who promised." With God, "He will never leave me or forsake me." And those are ALWAYS for He "never changes". (Matthew 19:26,Mark 10:27,Hebrews 10:23,Hebrews 13:5,Malachi 3:6)

As I look through the vastness of some trouble in my life, I must always remind myself that God is bigger than anything I face. And He is not only bigger, but He is stronger and higher and better at it than me. He can see what I can't. He knows the solution, and even when I feel like giving up, even when it seems like it "just can't be done", even after everything's finished in my eyes, He WILL come through.

All I have to do is stand there, trust Him, and watch. How fantastic is that?

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

From The Author: This year, I released 15 novels or novellas, with 6 of those as 2 complete sets. I also finished the Billionaire Boys Clu...