Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Righteous Nation

Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people. (Proverbs 14:34)

Doing right brings honor to a nation, but sin brings disgrace. (CEV)
I don't like to talk politics. In fact, it is something I strive to avoid. However, the Lord has pressed upon me a thought that I feel I must share.

moral - adj. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom
I mourn with many others the lack of a godly person to vote for. The fact is I don't like any of my choices. This was bothering me until the Lord prompted some thoughts in my heart. To put it simply, He said, "Vote for morality."

But what does that mean? In the scripture from Proverbs above we find the answer. It is righteousness, "doing right", that exalts a nation. It is not any particular political stance, not someone's ideas or level of schooling. There are so many reasons to vote for, or not to vote for, candidates. In this time of financial hardship, we focus on creating jobs and balancing budgets. We want education for our children and an efficient, working society. However, the highest ideal, according to the Word of God, is righteousness. It is morality. It is "right conduct" without "legalities" or "customs". I like that definition because it strips away all the excuses we make for our behavior.
Open ye the gates, that the righteous nation which keepeth the truth may enter in. (Isaiah 26:2)
We want our leaders to exhibit wisdom. We want them to know truth. But truth only comes from God, and it only comes as a person walks after Christ.

With wisdom, God has made a promise. He said, the man who concentrates on God, who seeks after Him with all his heart, will obtain wisdom and then have "all the other things" he needs. Jesus Himself stated in Matthew 6:33. We apply this scripture to ourselves individually, but did you know it also applies to governments as well?

Look at King Solomon. When he asked for wisdom above all other things what did God say to Him of His choice?

Because this was in thine heart, and thou hast not asked riches, wealth, or honour, nor the life of thine enemies, neither yet hast asked long life; but hast asked wisdom and knowledge for thyself, that thou mayest judge my people, over whom I have made thee king: Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after thee have the like. (2 Chronicles 1:10-12)
How does this help us know whom to vote for? Well, I will not tell you who to choose, but I urge you to look behind the rhetoric, the television ads, and the debates. Look behind the qualifications and political parties. Look instead for morality. Where does that candidate stand on the issues that God will not compromise on? That is what it all comes down to. I will not compromise the Word of God in my life. I will not settle for someone who stands against the morality that is in God's Word. Because as soon as I do, I condemn my nation to sin and disgrace.

And then I will pray as God has instructed me. For with His wisdom, I know my nation will make the decisions it needs to live in prosperity and peace.
I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. This is good and pleases God our Savior, (1 Timothy 2:1-3)

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...