Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Page From My Journal: Amicalola Falls

This page falls between my previous two journal entries. Again, the photographs are all from this same trip. The embedded links are videos from the trip.

November 9, 2009, Monday

7:39 AM

Yesterday’s cardinal is presently singing as I type this. I slept again like someone had whacked me over the head. Perhaps it is this bed that grabs me and sucks me in. It is like I cannot roll over even, much less get out of it. I only woke twice, at my usual 4:30 AM, and then the final time just as the sun was rising. The color of the sky was washed pink. The light falling on the mountain turned the trees on the mountain a magical shades of red and pink. It was very lovely. It would have been worth a picture, had this bed not strapped me in.
I think we are off somewhere today, but I have no idea where.

6:43 PM

Breakfast this morning was cereal. Ashley was going to cook eggs but then could not be convinced after others said they didn’t want any.

At about 10:30 we left the cabin and headed towards Amicalola Falls in Georgia. (Amicalola Falls is the highest waterfall in Georgia. It is a Cherokee Indian word meaning “Tumbling Waters”.) This requires us driving towards Blue Ridge and Ellijay and then hanging a left. Jay drove today. We stopped at the “Rebel” food store for gas (on the way to Blue Ridge) and then continued on. We also stopped at a CVS pharmacy for Mom.

The landscape from Ellijay towards the falls is like a postcard. The mountainsides give way to rolling hills. The rolling hills are crisscrossed by streams and dotted with small farms. The farms have horses of all colors and also cattle grazing on them next to wooden barns that look like they have been there for ages. It is haying time and we are constantly passing tractors toting hay across every road. The roadsides are red clay lined with trees either naked of leaves or blushed rusty red. Most of the yellow trees have lost their leaves, but once and again, you will pass some that stand out like a beacon.

Apples

Hillside Orchards, Georgia
Hillside Farms

There are peach trees and apple orchards with “apple houses” lining the road selling their wares. On the way to the falls, we stopped at Hillside Farms and sampled the apples. It smelled so marvelous inside. We also found some white gristmill cornmeal. I was prepared this trip to go all the way to the Smoky Mountains Park to find some. I don’t know why you can’t find it in Florida any more.

We had lunch at Amicalola Falls Lodge. They have a moderate-sized buffet with decent food. The chicken fried steak was very good. However, I feel already like I have eaten too much beef this week. The zucchini and squash mix was also tasty. I didn’t care for the dessert too much. I tried the peach cobbler, but it was the most “unsweet” cobbler I have ever eaten. It tasted like it had no sugar in it at all.

Amicalola Falls, Georgia
Amicalola Falls, Georgia

Following lunch, we made two stops at the falls. We took in the view from the top. You can see for a long ways from up there. Then we walked the upper path to the highest viewing platform at the falls. The leaves along the walk were so lovely. There were reds and oranges and yellows. You just cannot encapsulate the sound of the falls as you stand before it.

The weather was overcast today and cool. The car’s thermometer said 60 degrees, but it felt cooler than that with no sun shining. Tomorrow they forecast rain.

On the way back from the falls, we stopped at yet another apple house; it was very similar to the first one. A strange lady working there questioned why I was making videos. She wanted to know if I was making them for myself, “Were they personal?” How strange! I know I did not look like a professional.

Burt's Farm, Georgia
Burt's Farm, Georgia

We also stopped at Burt’s Farm and walked amongst the pumpkins, some very large, and then circled through a newly built neighborhood with some amazing, large homes.
All in all it was a very nice drive through the Georgia countryside.

We picked up dinner from Ingles – roasted chicken and salad – and now sit here watching a movie that is not the movie I thought I was buying. It frustrates me too because I erased the other one from our DVR at home thinking I had bought the right one. It is not a bad movie, but as I said, not the one I thought I had purchased. Now I am determined to get that one.

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...