Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"I don't care!"


And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain. (1 Corinthians 3:20)
I realized again today just how vain, or ineffectual, my thoughts are. Left to their own devices, they wander about futile and unsuccessful. In times like those, I don't write anything profitable. In fact, quite the opposite, I am completely unfruitful.

The Bible has quite a list of "vain" things. The majority of them have to do with your mind, your thoughts, your mouth, and your words.

repetitions
(Matthew 6:7)
imaginations
(Acts 4:25;Romans 1:21)
thoughts
(1 Corinthians 3:20)
beliefs
(1 Corinthians 15:2)
preaching, faith
(1 Corinthians 15:14,17)
labor
(1 Corinthians 15:58, Galatians 2:2, 4:11, Philippians 2:16)
words
(Ephesians 5:6)
jangling [random talk*]
(1 Timothy 1:6)
babbling
[empty sounding fruitless discussion*] (1 Timothy 6:20, 2 Timothy 2:16)
talkers
(Titus 1:6)
questions
(Titus 3:9)
religion
(James 1:26)
conversation
(1 Peter 1:18)
Ephesians 4:17 gives a firm instruction.
...walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind
This makes sense to me. All those days I awaken and cannot get my head to stop spinning. One minute I am fretting over finances, the next it is my health, the next some upcoming event. All of these thoughts are in vain. They don't solve anything. I spend so much time encumbered by the cares He has told me to "cast off", weighted down in mental turmoil when Jesus promised me "peace that passes understanding". (Philippians 4:7)

Half the battle is realizing your thoughts ARE vain. When it finally hit me I was wasting my time with worry and despair, I received some measure of freedom. The remaining freedom came when I adopted an "I-don't-care" attitude. Now, I realize that sounds a bit crass, but think about it for a minute. If we are to be "care-less" then we really "don't care" anymore. I'm not talking about lack of compassion for your neighbor. I'm talking about not carrying around all those cares you struggle with, the same cares the Gospels say "choke" God's Word in our lives. (Mark 4:19,Luke 8:14)

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. (1 Peter 5:7)
It is as the old song says, "Give them all to Jesus, shattered dreams, wounded hearts, broken toys." ** Personally, that's my plan. I am tired of choking on cares and spending my thoughts in vain. Instead I want to move into God's peace and true success.

The fact is, I just don't care anymore! I can't afford to.

Watch this clip from Creflo Dollar Ministries. It illustrates this point perfectly!

*G3150,G2757 ** "Give them all to Jesus" copyright 1975 Ericson Music

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...