Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Change My Mind!


Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world, but let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God---what is good and is pleasing to him and is perfect. (Romans 12:2 GNB)
I want to bring you hope today. God CAN change your mind, change it from thinking all the sad, depressed, confused thoughts you struggle with to thoughts of peace, strength, and joy. He did it for me, but it took some steps on my part to get there.

THE WAY
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life... (John 14:6)
Complete and total restoration comes through Jesus Christ. There is no other way. Pills and therapies are only salves. They will not and cannot "fix" the inner core of your problem. Instead, they are a "cover up" with the ability to become destructive to your physical body. Only God knows the heart of man and how to heal it. (1 Corinthians 2:9)

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)
True peace is found in Jesus. He must become your source, the very first thing you turn to for help. When you find yourself under mental distress, your reaction should be to seek for His presence and His wisdom.

My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9 NLT)
I have heard it said many times, "More of God. Less of me," and there is great truth in that. The more of God I have in me, the less of "me" there is to deal with. And where mental trauma is concerned, you have to first admit to yourself that your "me" is not working so well. As long as you try to "fix it" on your own, you will not find deliverance.

There is such freedom in throwing yourself at God's feet and depending entirely on His grace, mercy, and forgiveness, because all of these are limitless. He will never run out or refuse to "give you any". One of the most liberating moments was realizing I didn't have to come up with a solution any more. Knowing I was not strong enough in myself and that God WOULD be there to hold me up, brought peace.

WORSHIP AND THE WORD


And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)
It is essential to build yourself up in the Word, meditating in the Scriptures. This places God's wisdom into your heart, and God's wisdom is greater than man's wisdom. (Isaiah 55:9) You must know that anything "you can think up on your own" cannot reach the level of ability to heal that is in God's Word. So fill your heart and mind with His promises about your situation and leave no place in your mind for the devil's thoughts. (Ephesians 4:27)

It is also essential to learn to worship because worship brings in God's presence, and in God's presence there is life and peace. (Romans 8:6) Mental confusion is not from God. We know this because the Bible states, "God is not the author of confusion." (1 Corinthians 14:33) The best way to combat these moments of confusion is to place yourself in God's presence. Find music that ministers to you and begin to sing. Then begin to proclaim who God is.

He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less. (John 3:30 NLT)
When God becomes greater in your thinking than the problem you are having, you will react differently to the stressers in your life. That was my biggest desire. Instead of being immediately fearful and subsequently falling apart, I wanted to respond peacefully. Many an hour did I spend saying, "God loves me. God loves me. God loves me. God is bigger than this problem. He is bigger. He is bigger. He is higher. He is broader. He loves me."

Time spent in worship, meditating on who God is, is time spent in peace. Worship allows all the thoughts of myself to vanish. As a result, I am no longer thinking about my troubles, but become solely focused on how truly great He is.

OBEY

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. (6) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Please know that the "normality" of your life CAN return. You CAN "cease to care" about whatever seems so troubling right now. However, it requires effort and obedience. You MUST obey His directions. If He has asked you to go somewhere that makes you uncomfortable, then go there. The first time you may have to go trembling, but never use fear as an excuse for disobedience. You obey, and in the process, you place your trust in Him.

For here is the good news - when you do what God asks, He will meet you there, right where you are. You don't have to "find" Him, only to seek Him. (Matthew 7:7-8) He has promised to "be found". He also said He'd be "with you always". He even gave a great qualifier to that promise - He said, "to the end of the world" - and that is a LONG time! (Matthew 28:20)

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) (Hebrews 10:23)
God has a part to play in your healing, and you can depend on Him to play it for He said, "I will do it." (John 14:14) That is a definite promise. He WILL! Settle that into your heart once and for all. He who "hath begun a good work in you WILL perform it." (Philippians 1:6) God can be totally depended on!

SUPPORT

Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: (James 5:14)
Lastly, you do not have to walk this out on your own. You do not have to support yourself. There are people in your life who love you just as you are, no matter what your trauma is. When I am weak, I know who to call to pray for me. I know who will build me up with words of encouragement. I know who will hold my hand until I can physically move again.

Attend a faith-filled church, and place yourself in with the people of God as much as possible. True victory comes in knowing that there are times when I need the support of others and being willing to forgo any embarrassment in finding it. There is no "cover up" for healing from mental distress. You must seek support no matter how you think it makes you look.

LOVE

As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. (Psalm 103:12)
Above everything else, know that God loves you. His love is absolute and never changing. His love is HUGE! It is big enough and wide enough to swallow up all of your troubles. Nothing you have been troubled by is ever a surprise to Him. The Scripture in Hebrews says, "For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are." (Hebrews 4:15 AMP) Jesus has been there. He knows how you feel.

Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. (3 John 1:2)
God's love never fails! (1 Corinthians 13:8) If I have nothing else, when I find myself in a moment of mental weakness (for that is all it is, a short, brief moment), I have God's love for me. He loved me enough to send His Son to die in my place. "Greater love hath no man..." (John 15:13) God's love is always enough!

*If you'd like me to pray with you about your situation, I can be reached at scw1217@yahoo.com.

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...