Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Simple Life

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. (John 10:10)
Jesus spoke the above words during a debate with the Pharisees over the healing of a man blind from birth. These religious scholars effectively took something Jesus meant to be simple and through their mental reasoning made it very complicated. Verse 16 of chapter 9 even tells us their questionings created "division" amongst the people.

Yet in the midst of the confusion, the blind man himself offered his own simple point of view.
...one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see. (John 9:25)
So often, we do what I call "thinking to much." God wants us just to trust Him. Complete trust is, after all, the definition of faith. The Bible tells us faith is believing in those things you can't see yet. (Hebrews 11:1,3) The analogy is always made of a child expecting a visit from their grandmother. If grandma says she is coming, from that moment on the child in his mind sees her walking through the door. Well, most often instead of laying our trust on Jesus, we try to figure out the solution to our particular situation. We try to help God out.

Looking back at our foundation scripture, John 10:10, we see two very simple thoughts Jesus made. First, He tells us there is a thief and defines what the thief's purpose is. Second, He utters the statement, "I am come to give abundant life."

Whenever I find myself with my back against the wall, take, for instance, this past week when I was very ill, I ask myself one simple question, "Did that bring me abundant life? Or did it steal, kill, and destroy?" and I know the answer immediately. It didn't bring me abundance of life; it destroyed my health and stole from my time. Being sick didn't give me any sudden brilliance of thought. Instead, my mind was tired and my body couldn't get off the couch.

Deuteronomy 30:19 states, "I [God] have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live." This is again just so very simple. If this event in my life brought destruction to me, then it was not God. God's choice for mankind was life and blessing. It's like man was given a multiple choice quiz, but the answer has already been supplied.

Stop for a second and notice too the end of the verse, "that thou and they seed may live." It is not just that my choice of life and blessing affects myself. But my decision to walk in God's life, affects my daughter as well! Wow!

It all comes down to this - God is a good God, a God of peace, prosperity, and full salvation. Jesus came to give life, and abundant life at that. Anything else is a product of the thief, and it is my choice not to participate with the thief. I choose life! I choose blessing! It's all so very, very simple.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:30)

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

Dorothy Adamek said...

What a thought-provoking post! Thank you Suzanne for such a beautiful devotion and for sharing your life lessons.
Blessings
Dorothy :)

FREE Book Giveaway - 8/21-8/23/2017

FREE at Amazon 8/21-8/23/2017 For a look at the complete series, visit my webpage . Gio twisted his shoulders, jerking himself u...