Sunday, January 3, 2010

Faces From The Past

I went to visit with my 90-year-old grandmother yesterday. She is bedridden, unable to walk. As she lay there, I held her frail hand and read her my Christmas story. If you have not read it, you can do so at Pix-N-Pens. It is a story from her life as much as from mine. Silently, her eyes closed she lay there, listening. At times I thought she might be asleep. But when I had finished the story, she spoke and said, "That is the best Christmas gift...better than a $100 dollar bill." Her words will always remain precious to me.

Seeing and talking to her brought back to my mind some historic images I acquired from her. I'll not bore you with the long details of my grandfather's life, but he was adopted at a young age and these people are from his adopted family. Why is it old images are so interesting? I feel like I could sit and gaze into these faces and somehow glean something.

Elbert Grimes (son of Laurence), Rob Roy Combee (son of Alf), Morgan Combee (son of Hampton), Ed

Sitting there at my grandmother's side and reading her that story is a moment in my life I will always remember. I am so pleased if my words were able to bring back any of her beloved memories. For right now, I think that is really what life is all about - It is in creating moments today so that you can relive their memories later.

The Combee Gang

-------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

99 Cents Sale (Amazon only): THE OTHER PLAYER *Young Adult Amazon   Now on Preorder: SHE LOVES ME IN THE FALL:  The Neighbor...