Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Greater Things


Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. (Jeremiah 33:3)
In John, chapter 1, we see Jesus calling his disciples when, on one particular day, He speaks to a man named Phillip. (verse 43) And Phillip, all enthusiastic, then runs off and finds his friend, Nathanael.

I can picture it in my head. There is Nathanael minding his own business, on a seemingly average day, when Phillip runs up babbling about prophecies being fulfilled and how they've found the long awaited Messiah. "Come and see who we have found!" (verse 45)

Nathanael, a bit perplexed, gives him "one of those looks" and replies, "Seriously? Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?" (Not the only time that was said either.)

Nathanael's doubts linger, but he agrees to follow Phillip, who must have been a valuable friend, to find "this man". Well, when he and Phillip finally cross paths with Jesus, Jesus then proceeds tells Nathanael where he (Nathanael) was standing when Phillip had first found him.
Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! (48) Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. (49) Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel. (John 1:47-49)
Jesus' words made an instant believer out of Nathanael. But the story doesn't end there! Jesus then says something to Nathanael, within the hearing of all surrounding them, that I can imagine really blew Nathanael's mind.
Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these... (John 1:50)
In our everyday lives, all to often, we let God's promises fade. In our hearts we still believe in them and agree with what is said, but because of circumstances and events and people, they become softer and less effective.

In 1 Timothy 1:6, the Apostle Paul tells Timothy to "stir up the gift of God." Apparently, Timothy had allowed fear and doubt to creep into his life and affect his ministry. Paul uses phrases like "hold fast" and "be not ashamed." (verses 8, 13)

However, I want you to notice that it was Timothy's job to stir himself up, not Paul's. Paul was sent by God into Timothy's life as a "reminder". I know, God constantly uses those around me in a similar manner, but the "stirring up" doesn't ever happen until I take the action myself. I have to read the Word. I have to pray. I have to worship. These things cannot be done by others for me.

This brings me back to my initial scripture. God has made us a promise that should really "stir us up!"

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. (Jeremiah 33:3)
Wow! Just when we've become complacent, just when we've allowed doubt to creep in, God wants us to know He will do "great and mighty things which [we know] not." Things we aren't thinking of, things we have forgotten about, or things we simply can't imagine!

But stop here for a second and ask yourself this question. What is the condition He requires of us so we can see these "great and mighty things"? What do we have to do to receive this promise? It's found in the beginning of the verse - "Call unto me. Stir yourself up! Just ask! Just ask!"

Doesn't the scripture say, "Ask, and it shall be given you"? (Matthew 7:7) Ask and it SHALL. It shall. It shall! "Call and I will." I will. I will! What "shall"? What "will"? "Great and mighty things" shall! "Great and mighty things" will! I tell you, this really stirs me up!

Jesus makes this promise even greater in John 14.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. (John 14:12)
God will show us "great and mighty things", things we "know not", and then we'll go out and do "greater works". I like the thought that no matter where I'm at in life, God has something greater prepared for me. No matter how high up I am, or how low down I am, God has greater things, mightier things ready for my life. I don't have to know about them in advance or know what they are, but just believe they are coming!

I choose today to stir myself up. I choose to ask. "God, show me greater things! God, give me greater works!"

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...