Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Gratitude

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift. (2 Corinthians 9:15)
This has been a good year for me and I have much to be thankful for. In 2008, God drew me up out of a very dark place and set me upon a rock above my enemy. (Psalm 27:5-7; 40:2) And my enemy was fear. I had allowed fear to consume my life and prevent me from moving forward. I am so grateful today to be free from fear. (You can read my complete testimony.)

But being free from fear does not mean the devil has stopped trying to assail me. Rather being free means no matter what he does, I am not moved by it. I am stronger in Christ than any darts he throws my way. (Ephesians 6:16) God is greater, and I am up higher, sitting protected under His wings, upon the rock where He has placed me to only "behold and see the reward of the wicked." (Psalms 91)

My gratitude every day is still so very great for this "unspeakable gift" God has given me.

Someone said to me, it is those who have been through an episode in their life that was very traumatic that most understand the meaning of worship. When I close my eyes and sing the words "unto You be all the glory" I mean them with all my heart. It is my extreme thankfulness that drives me into His presence. Thank you God! Thank you. Thank you.

I would not be where I am, however, without the support of my friends and family. (You know who you are.) Those who have corresponded with me via email. Those who have prayed for me when I was struggling. Those who have pushed me to move beyond my mental limitations. Those who have shared of their lives and listened to my own. For you I am so grateful. I have more friends this year than I ever have, and you have no idea what that means to me.

But most of all, I have to thank my spouse. There are not enough words to express what he has done for me. When I was at my lowest point, he held my hand. Thank you for all those hours talking, for "kicking me" (figuratively speaking) when I was making no sense. You have been my greatest support and I love you.

However, it was not enough for God to just lift me up out of the darkness, He then blessed my husband and I with a gift we had wanted with all our heart. I wake up each day reminded of how much God loves us. He is truly the God of "more than enough." And this entire year, even in what looks like the toughest times by the world's standards, we have always had enough. I am so grateful because I know it was nothing we did, nothing we deserved or earned, but God's free gift. God officially "one upped" us big time.

The Bible says in Ephesians 5:4, "Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks." Rather - instead of. Instead of telling coarse jokes, instead of serving your flesh, instead of saying the first thing that comes to mind, things that are "not convenient" or we'd say not proper or suitable, give thanks.

Don't waste your words this holiday season, take some time to stop and give thanks.

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

Carla Gade said...

Keeping praise upon our lips is one of the best defences from the enemy. Praise God for this very gift!

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...