Sunday, November 29, 2009

Blindness


And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. (Matthew 15:14)
I was reading the words of a well-known preacher the other day when he posed a question that really stuck in my heart. "Do you feel like you are walking around in circles?" he asked. Since then, the more I have thought on it the more I have to say "yes". In recent days I have felt a bit like I was spinning around and getting nowhere.

But, you know. the revelation of this is as great to me as finding the solution to the problem. Half the battles we face come because we can't see ourselves, our own behaviors, and the harm they are doing.

And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight. (Mark 10:51)
I think back to the story of Elisha's servant. The king of Syria had been told that the reason he couldn't seem to win any battles was because of Elisha. So in response, he had sent soldiers to surround the city where Elisha was and capture him.

And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do?

(16) And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. (2 Kings 6:15-16)
Can't you just picture the scene? There stands Elisha cool as a cucumber while his servant runs around in a panic shouting, "Oh my goodness! What are we gonna do???"

Elisha's servant was at that moment going in circles. His dilemma was not that he couldn't recognize the problem. Plainly, he could see that there were a whole lot of people out there to get them. He obviously felt underpowered and out of control. No, his issue was he couldn't see the solution.
And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. (verse 17)
I like the verse above from the book of Mark. I'm sure Jesus realized as He stood there that the man was blind. Yet still He asked him, "What do you want?" You know, it is the blind man's response that brought the solution. In this case that was his healing. The blind man said, "I want to see."

Here's what we should really notice from both of these stories. When Elisha asked the Lord to "open the eyes" of his servant it was granted. When the blind man asked Jesus for sight, it was granted! In both cases, they received their sight and then Lord delivered them.

I ask today for the Lord to open my eyes. Whatever it is, Lord, that I need to see to stop walking around in circles, I want to see it. For it is only when I can see, that I will be able to ask for forgiveness, change my direction, and begin to move forward.
---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

1 comment:

Fussy said...

Excellent depiction.

FREE Book Giveaway - 8/21-8/23/2017

FREE at Amazon 8/21-8/23/2017 For a look at the complete series, visit my webpage . Gio twisted his shoulders, jerking himself u...