Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Thinking Process


When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. (Psalms 63:6)
God speaks to me a lot early in the morning before I rise up from bed. Often, I "hear" a scripture verse in my heart and will lay there just thinking about it. I'll repeat it over and over, reflecting on its meaning. I will spend time meditating on it.

...thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. (Matthew 1:21)
This morning I was thinking about this scripture in Matthew. Again and again, I said to myself, "for He shall save his people, for He shall save his people, for He shall save his people from their sins."

Then I reworded it. "Jesus' name saves His people. Jesus' name saves His people." After a while, I heard another scripture.

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: (Philippians 2:9)
I then combined these two thoughts. "His name is greater than every other. His name saves His people. His name is greater and it saves His people." Then the following verse in Matthew rose up inside me.

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; (Matthew 16:17)
Again, I combined these thoughts. "Jesus' name is above every other. It saves His people from sin AND is followed with signs. It not only saves. It is followed with signs. Jesus' name provides salvation and signs."

This process is what the Bible means when it refers to meditation. The word "meditate" itself means "to mumur" or "mutter"*, and it is a biblical instruction. (Joshua 1:8; Psalms 1:2) When the scripture says, "Thy word have I hid in my heart," I must ask, "How did it "get hid" there?" (Psalms 119:11)

Repetition is part of learning any subject. If you are taking a math class, the teacher would have you do the same type of problems over and over again, until you know how to do them with ease. In a relationship between a man and a woman, each party studies the other to learn all they can. After twenty years of marriage, I know my husband well enough to tell you what he'd say in any given situation. I, in effect, meditated on him.

That sounds like a funny way of putting it, but meditation goes in both positive and negative directions. We can meditate on good things and on bad things. Take worry, for example. Worry is meditating on fear. Isaiah 33:18 uses the phrase, "Thine heart shall meditate terror." That sounds a lot like worry to me! And meditating on fear will produce more fear and still more fear.

Here's the bottom line. Both positive and negative meditation will have an effect on you. If thinking about worry produces fear, then meditation on God's promises, Jesus' name, or His love for us, etc. will produce faith. The more I thought about those three scriptures regarding the name of Jesus, the more I believed them, the more assured I am now of their truths.

But meditation is more than simply positive thinking. This is because God's Word is alive! (Hebrews 4:12) The truths in it save and heal and prosper. They change lives. But only if we take the time to put them into our heart. Then when we are having troubles in any one area - if we lack peace or wisdom or need healing or have a great financial need - they will rise up from inside us and we'll find the answers we need.

There is an old saying, "You are what you eat." Well, I "am" only what I put inside me. I cannot speak healing, if I haven't any knowledge about healing. I will not walk in peace if I don't know I can have peace. So I will take my time in advance to put God's words in my heart, to make myself strong in the Lord. (Ephesians 6:10)
Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. (1 Timothy 4:15)

Cultivate these things. Immerse yourself in them. The people will all see you mature right before their eyes! Keep a firm grasp on both your character and your teaching. Don't be diverted. Just keep at it. Both you and those who hear you will experience salvation.
(verses 15-16, The Message)


* Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, H1897
---------------------------------------------
Suzanne

Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

2 comments:

karim said...

Good one on positivethinking and it helps a lot.

Thanks,
Karim - Positive thinking

scw1217 said...

Thanks, Karim. However, it is more than just positive thinking. Thinking on positive things will make you feel better, but thinking on the Word of God will change your life on top of that. It changed mine. When I hit rock bottom, it was God's Word that brought me out. God bless and thanks again!

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...