Wednesday, September 16, 2009

An Intimate Relationship

As the deer longs for streams of water,
so I long for you, O God. (Ps. 42:1 NLT)
The best part of my day is the time I spend communing with God. It is as essential to life for me as eating, sleeping, and breathing. You see, I have fallen in love, and when you fall in love you have great desire for the other person. I can never seem to get enough of His presence. I long to hear what He has to say to me.

But sometimes finding the time to spend alone with God to build our relationship is difficult. I become too busy, to over-stimulated - the television is going or the telephone is ringing. I have too many tasks to complete, or someone wants to talk to me. Amidst all that noise, I can no longer hear God's voice.

There is a scripture my pastor read a few Sunday's ago and the words really spoke to my heart.

(11) And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: (12) And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. (1 Kings 19:11-12)
The prophet Elijah was standing on the mountain listening for God's voice with a lot of noise going on around him: the wind breaking rocks, the rumble of an earthquake, the crackle of a massive fire. But notice the scripture says God was not in any of that.

So many times we sit around waiting for God to pick up a bullhorn and announce what we need to hear over top of the cacophony of sounds around us. He becomes some big bully who will just push aside everything we've put in the way. We go on as we always have, never taking the time to lay worldly things aside and just listen for a while.

We teach our children to listen. "You have two ears and one mouth, so listen twice as much as you speak." How many parents have quoted that one? I know I have. But as an adult, where hearing God's voice is concerned, suddenly that rule does not apply.

The Bible plainly tells us that "faith comes by hearing the Word of God." (Romans 10:17) We will not hear until we take the time to listen.

...a still small voice...
God speaks in whispers, and He speaks through His words that I have put into my heart. (Psalms 119:1) I put His words there out of my great desire for Him, out of my longing to build an intimate relationship. King David expressed this in Psalm 139.

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts... (verse 23)
However, he also knew that there was more involved in the relationship than just his desire for God. God also had a desire to be with him.
O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. (2) Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. (Psalms 139:1-2)
One of the most frequently quoted verses, that every child can speak, is John 3:16. But I'd like you to meditate on the word "so". "God so loved." That one small word changes the dynamic of the entire sentence. "So" is an adverb expressing quantity. It tells us "how much" God loved. We see this again in 1 John 4:10-11 where it states, "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us...Beloved, if God so loved us..."

There is nothing greater than being in love. In reverse, there is nothing worse than being in love and the one you love isn't listening. Relationships are built upon time spent together hearing each others words and committing them to your heart. That is my desire in each moment I spend with my Savior.

If it is only ten minutes out of my day, I take the time to turn off all the noise - no televison, no music, no phone calls. It's just me and Him spending time together. It is then He speaks to me and I hear it because I am intently listening.

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...