Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hot for Christ


I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! 16 But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! Revelation 3:15-16 NLT
These are such powerful words, but there is a truth in them that Christians need to heed. First, that God said, "I know about everything you do." We cannot hide from God. The Psalmist stated this so clearly.

O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. 2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. 3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether. Psalm 139:1-4
But it doesn't stop there. Not only does He know everything we do, but He knows how fervent we are as well. (Romans 12:11; James 5:16)

We are selfish human beings, forever fighting against our carnal nature. We will do for others mostly if we'll receive something in return. However, we did not "so learn Christ." (Ephesians 4:20) Didn't He die for us despite everything we have done?

The Apostle Paul describes this battle.

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. (Romans 7:18-19)
I can truthfully say, "I know the feeling." My intentions were to do good, but in the end I served only myself.

So, how do we overcome? How can we pull ourselves out of this endless cycle? Psalms 119:1 gives us the key.

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
By meditating on the Word of God, planting its truths in our heart, making God's directions first place in our daily decision making, we will not walk in sin, and we will become more dedicated, more fervent, and "hotter" for Christ. This means walking in God's love even when it is difficult, honoring our commitments, guarding our speech (not saying everything that comes to mind), and protecting our thought life by watching what we put into our mind, to name just a few.

The Apostle Paul warned the Roman church not to waver.

If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. 6 But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. 7 Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do. James 1:5-7 NLT
Wow! By wavering, or being lukewarm, we place ourselves in a position to receive nothing. Even further, it says we become unstable. This reminds me of Jesus' story about a house built on shifting sands. Without a firm foundation laid underneath, it fell. And notice it had a "great fall", not a little fall, but a disastrous one! (Matthew 7:26-27) What did Jesus say was the reason it fell?
...every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not...
God has promised us success and prosperity, peace and joy. But it is all on the condition we remain hot in our commitment, in our love, for Him. And we show that commitment by placing His words in our heart, by "doing" His sayings.

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

FREE Book Giveaway - 8/21-8/23/2017

FREE at Amazon 8/21-8/23/2017 For a look at the complete series, visit my webpage . Gio twisted his shoulders, jerking himself u...