Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Trust In The Lord

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6
Years ago, not too long after I was married, something happened to me that changed my thinking. I had gone to the grocery store and was standing at the end of what seemed to be a very long aisle staring at a $20 bill in my hand when I was suddenly overwhelmed with despair. How was I to buy a week's worth of groceries with such a small amount? And what would I do for money next week? Overcome, I burst into tears.

But then I heard the Lord's "still small voice". (1 Kings 19:12) "Never go back. Only go forward." Suddenly I saw it. I had an epiphany of sorts at that moment - I only needed to deal with what I lacked for today! If the Lord was really my provider, then tomorrow He'd provide me with what I needed to have tomorrow. From that moment on, I expected to "go forward", to move away from having only $20, to having all I needed. (2 Peter 1:3)

I can remember asking myself, "Do I need bread today? No, I have a few slices of bread. Do I need milk? No, there's still enough milk for a couple days. But I am totally out of soap, so that is what I'll buy." I began to trust in the Lord to equip me for the next day when that day arrived. I'd say, "I have enough until tomorrow, so I'll not worry about that today."

Look at the life of Abraham. Here he is, age 75, living in his ancestral town, when God speaks and tells him to move. And not just across the street, but "to a land that I will shew thee." (Genesis 12:1) Abraham left not even knowing where he was going or how far it would be! Can you imagine the explanations his family wanted? "We're going where? What do you mean you don't know??" But he had a promise, and he knew that God would not ask him to do something that He, God, would not also provide him with the means to get there.

Look again at Isaac. Here's Abraham's cherished son, the fulfillment of the promise God had given him, (Genesis 12:2) when God tells Abraham to offer up Isaac in sacrifice. (Genesis 22:1-2) Abraham doesn't even try to delay it. He gets up early the next morning, offers no explanation to Isaac, and sets out to obey. (verse 3) Isaac even asked him, "Dad, where's the sacrifice?" (verse 7) And what was Abraham's response? "God will provide..." (verse 8)

But here's what we do. We try to manipulate people and events in order to control the outcome. God had given Abraham the promise to make him a great nation when he left Ur. Ten years later when nothing had actually happened yet, he and Sarah decide to help things along and involve her servant, Hagar. (Genesis 16:2) What they ended up with though was not Isaac, it was not the plan God had for them, but it was Ishmael.

The Bible says Abraham loved Ishmael. In fact, he pleaded with God for Ishmael during the very moments they were speaking about the blessing of Isaac. (Genesis 17:8) Can you imagine? Here was God talking with him about something he's always wanted, giving him this huge blessing, and Abraham wants to talk about Ishmael.

No! God is fully capable of providing for our future, if we'll believe Him, if we'll trust in Him. And better still, He promises us a future of peace and hope, not evil, not lack, not despair.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11 NKJV)
We must trust in the Lord with every step. We must listen for His daily instruction, and more than that, not trust in our understanding, not lean on what we think we know will work. Sometimes I don't know where the next step will land, but I know God cares about me, (Matthew 10:29-31) and I know He will guide me into any truth that I will need for each moment I will need it.
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. (John 16:3)
---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...