Sunday, August 30, 2009

Family Recipe: Pear Relish

Pear relish was one of my grandmother's favorite things. A number of years ago, she and I spent 2 days peeling, chopping, cooking, and canning it. I personally like it in tuna salad. Since she passed away in April of 2007 that day we spent together has become one of my treasured memories. As my daughter and I put up our few jars this weekend, I couldn't help but again think of her.

These are for you, Granny...


15 medium pears (at least)
3 large green bell peppers
2 medium onions
3 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 qt. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tbl. salt
1/2 tbl. tumeric
1/2 tbl. allspice

Peel pears and finely mince.
Mince peppers and onions.
Mix with remaining ingredients in large boiler.
Cook on low for 1 hour.
Pour into hot, sterile jars to seal.

Note: This is a half recipe which makes about 9 pint jars. Boil your jars and lids. Remove them from the hot water one at a time. Fill with hot relish, leaving about 1" space at the top. Wipe the outside lip of the jar to remove any spilled relish (this will prevent your jars from sealing) and screw on hot lids tightly. Jars should "pop" and seal within 30 minutes to an hour.

---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...