Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bible Thoughts: Don't Limit God

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

More often that we realize, we fall into the same trap as Job. We limit God's actions with our human understanding. When God finally addressed Job, notice His first words. "Who is this who darkens counsel by words without knowledge?" (1) Notice also Job's ultimate reaction, “Behold, I am vile; What shall I answer You? I lay my hand over my mouth. Once I have spoken, but I will not answer; Yes, twice, but I will proceed no further.” (2)

Hebrews 11:6 says that 2 things are required of us. We must first believe that God "is", then we must believe He desires to reward us. This is the essence of faith. Think of a young child who asks their parent for a pair of new shoes. Once the promise of purchase has been made, that child fully expects to receive new shoes. They haven't physically seen them. Yet, I don't know of a child who would suddenly begin to question the promise. "Are you SURE? Are you really ABLE?" No, they believe in the parents ability and their desire to fulfill the promise.

"But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” Romans 9:19-21 NKJV

God is much bigger than our circumstances. There's not an instance in our lives that He has not provided a way out of. (3) For our every decision, for any questions we may have, He will always deliver the answer. (4) Jesus himself instructed us to ask anything. In fact, He said, "Ask and I will do it." (4) What is "anything"? Merriam-Webster defines it as "any such thing." Anything means anything!

The thing preventing us from receiving the answer is usually our own understanding. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." How often do we take Almighty God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and make Him into what our human minds can wrap itself around? In effect, we make Him small, unwilling, and unable. But this is not what the Bible says! No, whenever I am up against a wall, I can rest assured that the problem is not with God, it is with me.

God is a big God! He is big in power, big in ability, big in desire, big in knowledge, and big in forgiveness. God IS, and God is a REWARDER. Take the limits off of what God can do!

(1) Job 38:2
(2) Job 40:4-5
(3) 1 Corinthians 10:13
(4) Psalms 91:15
(5) John 14:14 NKJV


---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...