Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bible Thoughts: And He Talks With Me

And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day Genesis 3:8

Whenever I read the above scripture, I hear the words of the old hymn, In The Garden, (1) echoing around in my head.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

What a marvelous thought, that God would want to spend time walking and talking with me. Throughout the books of the Bible, we see examples of His desire for an intimate conversation with man. Both Abraham and Moses became so close that God called them His friends. (2) (3) He called out to young Samuel by name during the night. (4) He spoke to Balaam through a donkey, when nothing else could get his attention. (5) He answered Job's doubts with marvelous descriptions of His strength and power. (6) He lifted and restored the prophet Elijah when he was exhausted and depressed. (7) When Jonah became angry at Ninevah's repentance, He reminded him of His great forgiveness. (8) In the New Testament, we see Jesus speaking to all classes of society: lepers, Samaritans, and many afflicted with mental and physical diseases. (9) There are just so many, many examples, I could not possibly name them all.

God desires to walk "in the cool of the day" with you and I. The apostle Paul even tells us we should come "boldly before the throne." (10) I believe we can really see the heart of the Father, His yearning, in the following passage.

But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. 15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. 16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me. Isaiah 49:14-16

What a wonderful thought, that God would keep my image ever before Him! Again in Isaiah, we can hear the Father speaking.

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Isaiah 1:18

"Let us reason together." "Let's talk," in other words. God, who is our Father, (11) desires to spend time talking with us. He wants us to come to know Him, as we would know someone we loved and communed with on this earth. (12) He is not something way out of reach, untouched by our feelings. (13) No, He is "with us always". (14) Jesus said we've only to ask, and He'll be there to answer.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Matthew 7:7-8


(1) In The Garden, Words and Music by C. Austin Miles, 1912
(2) Isaiah 41:8; James 2:23; Genesis 17:3
(3) Exodus 33:11
(4) 1 Samuel 13:4
(5) Numbers 22:28
(6) Job 38:1; Job 42:12
(7) 1 Kings 19:4-8
(8) Jonah 3:11
(9) Matthew 8:2-3; Mark 1:40-41; Mark 14:3; John 4:13; Matthew 8:3;
(10) Hebrews 4:6
(11) Romans 8:15; Galatians 4:6
(12) 1 John 4:7-8
(13) Hebrews 4:15
(14) Matthew 28:20



---------------------------------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments:

Story Saturdays

A Brief Note: Email subscribers can reply to any of my emails or blog posts from within their inbox. I receive all replies and will always...